Something that I am asked for over and over by beginners is a starter alkaline shopping list, those things you need to REALLY get going and start feeling the benefits right away.
I know how amazing it can be to feel that massive positive rush of energy and vitality and all-round positivity when you first start to alkalise and this alkaline shopping list will be a big help to you.
…because I know how frustrating it can be to start with so much motivation and enthusiasm only to be undone by not having the right tools in the box and this alkaline shopping list will get you started right away.
If you haven’t started to alkalise just yet I am so envious of you* (see below)
To make the Alkaline Diet Shopping List useful I have divided it into sections:
- Equipment & One Off Purchases
- Alkaline Supplements
- Alkaline Foods
Please note, that you don’t need every every piece of equipment, and I’ve listed them by Highly Recommended, Recommended and Awesome to Have so that you don’t feel overwhelmed. I’ve also done this for the alkaline supplements too.
Remember, you can live alkaline with no equipment, and just fresh veg from your local market – but all of the equipment and supplements make it way easier. However, I don’t want you to read this and feel like you can only do this lifestyle by spending a fortune. Focus on the BIG and most important purchases that fit your budget and then hit the veggies….hard.
The Most Important: Alkaline Diet Recipe Book Volume II
Knowing what to eat is the most important part of understanding the alkaline diet. BUT that’s only half the battle –
knowing how to make delicious MEALS from the alkaline foods you can eat is the most important and most difficult thing to get right!
But – help is at hand! My NEW Alkaline Diet Recipe Book (Volume II) has over 120+ brand new alkaline, delicious and easy to make recipes to get you alkaline quickly, easily and enjoyably.
And right now you can get it with a HUGE 40% DISCOUNT!
Click here to grab your copy of The Alkaline Diet Recipe Book II PLUS when you buy now you get my 14-Day Alkaline Diet Blueprint that gets you alkaline in just 14 days!.
With this in your hand you will be able to get alkaline so much more easily!
Alkaline Shopping List: Equipment
In reality, there is nothing that is so important that you can’t live alkaline without it, but all of this equipment helps heaps. As mentioned, I’ve prioritised it for you, so if you have to pick, go for the Highly Recommended stuff:
Highly Recommended Alkaline Equipment
- Chanson Alkaline Water Ionizer: this is my first pick by far for two critically important reasons. Firstly, tap, bottled, RO and distilled water is acid forming – so because staying hydrated is super-critical to staying alkaline, it is really important to drink a good quality, alkaline water. There are other ways of getting alkaline water and my FREE guide to Alkaline Water goes through each step-by-step, so if you’ve not seen it, I recommend it.
Secondly, the water from a Chanson Water Ionizer is not only alkaline with a tip-top pH of 9.5 but it is also antioxidant rich. Can you imagine the difference it will make to your health & energy to go from being dehydrated on crappy tap water to drinking 2-4 litres of pH 9.5, antioxidant-rich, superfiltered water each day? It’s an immense difference.
- Quality Juicer: next up, I recommend you invest in a juicer. There is almost nothing you can do that is more powerful for your health than consume a fresh vegetable juice each day. The alkaline diet goes into OVERDRIVE when you include fresh juice. I thoroughly recommend you make juicing a habit.You really do get what you pay for with juicers and I thoroughly believe that the Hurom KT100 is the best out there on the market.
- Blender:A lot of people don’t understand the difference between blending and juicing and/or they don’t see why they need both. Blenders blend the whole food, keeping the fiber and make excellent soups and smoothies.
Juicers juice the food, removing the skin and fiber giving you a thin juice. You lose the fiber but this makes it so much easier for the body to assimilate the nutrients. Remember, you can’t juice an avocado and you can’t blend ginger. But you’d want both in your diet right?
Recommended Other Tools to Get Alkaline
- Sprouter: sprouts are quite frankly…awesome. Basically, a sprouter enables you to grow sprouts! Why do you want to grow sprouts? Because they are super-cheap, super-nutritious, alkaline powerhouses that take the alkaline diet to the next level.
- Rebounder: rebounding is a very, very effective and efficient exercise that not only tones, burns fat and makes you feel great (and is perfect for beginners or those afraid of the gym) but it is also one of the most effective exercises for giving your lymphatic system a workout. I, of course, recommend the rebounder we (Energise) co-built with Jason ‘Juicemaster’ Vale. It’s very cost effective and folds in half for easy storage
Awesome to Have
- Soy/Almond Milk Maker: A very handy edition for making fresh nut milks. The Hurom can do this job too, but if you have a normal whizzy juicer the soy/almond milk makers are very handy indeed, and are pretty cheap.
- Dehydrator: this is the portal to alkaline snack heaven. You really can dehydrate anything you like and make a whole heap of tasty alkaline snacks – plus you can make delicious raw crackers from flax! Awesome
Alkaline Shopping List: Alkaline Supplements
A lot of people ask me, ‘which supplements are the most important, I don’t know where to start?’ so hopefully this quick rundown will get you moving without having to spend an arm and a leg.
- Green Drink: green drinks are the core supplement of the alkaline diet. A broad range of powdered grasses, green vegetables, fruits, sprouts and more – green drinks give you a huge alkaline boost and are taken as 1 scoop in 1 litre of water 2-4 times per day. My personal recommendations are Mega Greens, Miracle Greens, Pure Energy Greens and Green Superfood.
- pH Drops: good quality, clean, alkaline water is so important and if you are not using a water ionizer then I strongly recommend you filter your water to remove some of the rubbish from the tap water and then add pH drops to get it to a pH of above 8.
- Omega Oils: a recent study from Harvard showed that Omega 3 deficiency is the 6th biggest killer in the world. Isn’t that amazing? It is estimated that at least 85% of us are chronically deficient in omega 3. The body cannot make omega 3 itself (hence being called an Essential fatty acid) and it is actually pretty hard to get enough through diet alone. Fatty fish, nuts and oils are the main sources, but even then omega 3 is much harder to come by compared to omega 6 or omega 9. Because having the correct ratios of omega 3 compared to 6 & 9 is important, I recommend Udo’s Choice. Click here for more on the importance of Omega 3.
- Alkaline Minerals/Alkaline Salts: the alkaline diet is built upon alkaline minerals. It is the alkaline minerals present in foods that determine whether they have an alkalising or acidifying effect on the body and the most powerful of these are calcium, magenesium, sodium and potassium (while manganese and iron get a shout too). Taking a super-high-quality (or as my friend Will says ‘superlegit’)
alkaline mineral supplement is very beneficial in helping support your body. I personally love pH Miracle’s pHour Salts as it delivers these four alkaline minerals in a bicarbonate form which is essential to the body. See here for Robert Young’s rundown on why salts are so important.
Other Recommended Alkaline Supplements to Shop For
- Chlorophyll:Chlorophyll is a fantastic way to get dense green, blood building foods into your diet, and liquid chlorophyll is great because you can use it on the go – just a few drops in your water and you’re away!
- Fibre: I really recommend that, especially if you’re just starting out, you start using psyllium husks. Every time I recommend this I get a heap of people emailing me with glowing reviews! It’s cheap and available on the high street or at the supermarket.
- Broad Multi: I take a broad spectrum multiviamin/multimineral each day to cover me – it’s a fantastic (and cost effective) safety net. We’re all busy, we all have slip ups, and sometimes even when we eat well an important vitamin or mineral may be missed somehow. I use Quest Vitamins Super-Once-Per-Day – it’s a bit of a powerhouse!
Awesome to Have
- Salt Spray: pHlavour by pH Miracle is a great product. It’s an alkaline food seasoning (salt) taken direct from the great salt lakes in Utah, but it’s also a great supplement to boost your alkaline mineral intake, curb sugar/carb/tobacco cravings and give you a pep-up.
- Antioxidant Blend: for it’s all round goodness, free-radical-fighting action, anti-aging-awesomesauce and other delights, I recommend ensuring you get a more than adequate intake of antioxidants. Of course, eating alkaline fills you with antioxidants, as does drinking Ionized Water (which gives you antioxidants all day long). If you’re looking for an antioxidant super-supplement I really recommend pHion’s Berry Superfruit which has an ORAC rating that is the equivalent of 4lbs of fresh fruit – but does not include any of the sugar!
List of Alkaline Foods to Shop For
This is what I would shop for, to live a week or so on the alkaline diet if I were moving into an empty house with an empty kitchen. So many of the items will last longer than a week (for instance a bag of brown rice) but this is my starter alkaline shopping list!
Alkaline Shopping List: Fruit & Vegetables
- 5 Cucumbers
- Spinach (lots)
- 5 Avocados
- Lettuce (any kind)
- 3 Capsicum/Peppers
- 1 bunch Celery
- 3 Grapefruits
- 7 Lemons
- 3 Limes
- 5 Carrots
- 2 Parsnips
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 bunch of Basil
- 1 bunch of Coriander
- 1 packet of Beansprouts
- 1 bunch of Spring Onions/Shallots
- Sugar-Snap Peas/Snowpeas
- Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Beetroots
Fridge & Freezer
- Organic Silken Tofu
- Organic Firm Tofu
- Unsweetend, Organic Soy Milk/Almond Milk
- Almond Paste
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Kidney Beans
- Chick Peas/Garbanzo
- Black Beans
- Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Soba Noodles (Buckwheat)
- Brown Rice
- Sprouted Wraps/Tortillas
- Sprouted Bread
- Flax Crackers
- Herbal Teas: peppermint, nettle, redbush/Rooibos, Lavender etc
- Dried Herbs & Spices: ginger, cumin, chilli, coriander seeds, nutmeg, herb mix, cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon etc
Putting it all together: buying your alkaline shopping list
This is intended to help, not overwhelm so I’d really invite you to apply Tim Ferris’ principle of Minimum Effective Dose to this. Work out exactly the minimum you need to get the desired effect you are looking for, and only apply that. Once you’ve mastered that level you can then go for 99% or 100% – but don’t go for perfection right away – it’s the surefire path to failure. This is an alkaline shopping list to get you up and running with this approach.
This is always the guiding principle at Energise – slowly, slowly – take baby steps. Don’t go for perfection from day 1 – go easy on yourself, take your time. And if you mess up….? Don’t beat yourself up over it, just think why it happened, move on and start afresh tomorrow.
This alkaline shopping list is compiled specifically with items that you do not have to search high and low for. Every item on this alkaline shopping list is available either from us at www.energiseforlife.com or in your local supermarket (Tesco, Waitrose and Morrisson’s are all great for health foods now – in Australia, Coles and Woolworths are pretty good too and in the USA I hear Trader Joes is a good option).
And that’s everything! With this list you can get alkaline right away, no excuses – JUST DO IT!
If you’re interested in hearing more from Tim Ferriss, here is my good buddy Olivier Roland interviewing Tim – the interview is in English, despite the site being French.
*this is a really nice perspective I learned recently from my friend Jeff, and in turn from his friend Frank. Jeff was hanging with Frank who made a Big Lebowski reference. Jeff commented that he hadn’t seen The Big Lebowski (I know…). Instead of mocking his friend, Frank’s response was ‘Dude, I am so envious of you, it would rock to be you right now!’. When Jeff asked why, Frank’s response was ‘You get to watch The Big Lebowski for the first time!’