I’m always looking for ways to make getting alkaline and energized as easy and quick as possible for you.
I LOVE hunting down those simple little things that make a big difference. If I were more fashionable I’d call it an green juice hack…
Having a Green Juice Every Morning is the Most Simple & Powerful Thing You Can Do – And Here’s How to Do It Quickly!
Not groundbreaking rocket science, but doing this will change your life.
You will be getting 6-8 serves of fresh, green vegetables every day, delivered in a way that gives your body a maximum nutrient hit, before you’ve even left the house in the morning.
Everything else that day becomes a bonus, and it sets you up for all-day, vibrant energy, mental clarity and vitality.
It’s an amazing thing to do. Probably the most life-changing decision you could make…
But there is a reason why MOST people won’t EVER do this!
95% of people who want to get alkaline know that doing this will be huge, but they don’t do it.
I get it, and as humans, we all have the propensity to be a bit lazy, and we can easily convince ourselves we don’t have time for stuff.
I do it too! When I get super-busy (like now) I can often convince myself I don’t have time to go for a run. Which is bull. As if I didn’t have just 30 minutes at some point during my 16 waking hours! Of course I did.
And for most people it’s the same for juicing.
You’re in a rush, you woke up a little late, the kids need to be ready for school, you’ve got to get dressed, get everyone fed and out of the door. So the fleeting thought of getting out the juicer, washing the vegetables, chopping them up, juicing, cleaning up, packing away is…well, exactly that, a fleeting thought.
But Done Right, Juicing Daily Can Easily Fit Into Your Life (when you follow these simple hacks steps)
Juicing Tip #1: Make it a Habit
You want to be juicing daily, it will change your life. So making it a habit, something you do on auto-pilot, and something you don’t compromise on (like cleaning your teeth, it’s a habit, you see it as important so you never skip it).
There are two simple keys to creating a new habit:
- Consistency: it has to be consistent, so in the first week or two pull out all the stops to make sure you do it. Focus on it, put a chart up on the wall you tick off each day, write a reminder as to why it’s so important to do and stick it on your bathroom mirror, set a health goal that you make juicing an integral part of and tell everyone you’re doing it.Get leverage.
Specifically set your alarm clock 7 minutes early, so that you can’t have the excuse of not enough time.
It might seem hard, but make the commitment to yourself that you are going to do it every day for a week, just to see. No pressure, if it’s not for you after that, that’s fine. But you are going to power through for seven days at all costs.
Because you know after that you’ll be flying and carry on 🙂
- Reward: set a reward for yourself (and your family if they’re helping with the workload!) for when you reach the end of each week. You will be getting the reward of how you feel and look, but it never hurts to set an extra treat as a reward too! Maybe it’s a shopping trip, massage, gadget, night out…whatever, set the reward and keep it front-and-centre to get you through any times when you’re on the verge of skipping a day.
There are mixed opinions on how long it takes to form a new habit, but I think the rules are different with something like juicing, when the benefits are so noticeable and so fast!.
You get addicted to it (in a good, healthy way), and you see and feel a difference so quickly that this habit can easily be formed within a week.
Juicing Tip #2: Pre-prepare vegetables (as much as possible)
Pre-washing all of your vegetables makes life in the morning a heck of a lot easier. It is an extra step that you don’t need to do repeatedly, every time you have a juice!
By pre-washing your leaves, carrots, cucumbers, celery etc. you will get it all done at once and shave about 3-4 minutes off your total juice preparation time.
For the non-leaf ingredients, you just need to pat them down and make sure they’re not packed too tightly down into the fridge.
For the leaves (such as spinach and the herbs) you need to be a little careful not to leave them in a condition where they will wilt and brown too fast.
What I recommend for washing leaves is to wash them all as soon as you get home from the shops, and place them into an airtight plastic tub, lined with a paper towel. To keep the moisture from making the leaves go wet and off, place one paper towel in the bottom of the tub, and then another on top before putting the lid on. If you have loads of greens, you can also place one as a middle layer too.
If you don’t want to use too many paper towels, you can buy reusable cloth ‘paper’ towels from etsy.com
You won’t believe how much easier it makes juicing when you pre-wash everything – the only tasks left then are to roughly chop, juice and clean…
Which brings us on to:
Juicing Tip #3: Get a Self-Cleaning Juicer
This makes a big difference too. I know it’s not necessarily something you can do right now today, if you already have a regular juicer, but cost permitting, I strongly recommend you upgrade to a cold-press masticating juicer as soon as possible.
The whizzy, centrifuge juicers (the ones most common in the shops that are very noisy and spin very fast) are cheap, but they extract a LOT less goodness from the juice and are an absolute nightmare to clean.
The masticating juicers, on the other hand, are quiet, efficient, get 60% more out of each thing you juice and are self cleaning to a degree.
Now, that doesn’t mean it washes itself sat there on the bench. It means that while it’s juicing, it’s also doing 80% of the cleaning at the same time – which means when you’re finished, you just have to give it a quick rinse and you’re done.
PLUS these cold-press juicers simply make nicer tasting, more flavoursome, richer juices than the whizzy, whirry centrifuge juicers.
Especially when you…
Juicing Tip #4: Use Awesome, Addictive Flavours
The basic green juice would be:
– Kale or another leafy green
That’s the basic green juice and practically every green juice I make will contain 4 out of 5 of those ingredients.
BUT, it’s important to mix it up and make your juice DELICIOUS!
A note about fruit…
Generally speaking you do not want to juice fruit. It’s really not good for you. Juiced fruit provides your body with a concentrated hit of acid-forming sugar. And fructose, when consumed without fiber, is not well received by the body. It spikes your blood sugar, instigates big insulin release by the pancreas, causes inflammation and is just not necessary.
If you find juices without fruit too difficult to begin with, and you find my suggestions below don’t cut it quite yet either – please limit fruit in your juice to 1/4 of an apple per person per serve.
Please don’t make the type of juices I see on most sites, which call themselves a green juice, but are really half a pineapple, 2 apples, an orange, 2 pears and 1 stalk of kale. That is NOT A GREEN DRINK! It’s a fruit juice. And will send you backwards.
So what are these delicious options…
I’m loving experimenting at the moment and these are my current faves:
- Ginger: it is now rare that I have a juice without ginger. It adds an incredible anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, immune-system-boosting kick that tastes great. Be careful not too add too much at once, add it little by little. And if you’re hoping your kids will have some of your juice, be aware the ginger makes it fiery!
- Mint: so underrated as a flavour, but when you’re having a juice with all of those greens like above, it can really mix it up. When you get into a run of juicing daily, it’s easy to get lazy and just have the same old juice every day – so the simple act of adding a sprig of mint into the juicer (especially with the ginger) can really mix it up!
- Beetroot & Carrot: I know this is hardly revolutionary, but I’m including here because if you’re new to juicing, these two subtly sweet veggies can do the job of sweetening up instead of falling back on fruit. Together they’re also an antioxidant powerhouse!
- Coconut Water: oh yes….OH YES….coconut water is an awesome way to naturally sweeten and add a different flavour dimension. This is almost a must-have fixture in our house at the moment in both juices and smoothies. As an added tip – once you’ve finished juicing, pour the coconut water through the juicer to swish it out and get any remaining juice from the juicer. Makes it easier to clean and gets you more juice!
- Basil & Coriander: these two herbs, used alone or together add such a nice taste. They’re more on the savoury side, but they can really give your juice an Asian slant – especially if used with the coconut too!
- Turmeric: natures powerhouse spice – the most potent anti-inflammatory going, and it gives juices such a depth of flavour. If you find you like the taste of turmeric, you’d do well to include it every day, such is it’s power. Note: you will get yellow fingers if you use it every day, and it can easily stain your kitchen bench so keep it on the chopping board!
- Almond Milk: this was quite the discovery – topping up your juice with almond milk (especially home made, which you can also make with your cold-press juicer, delicious) because it’s much thicker and creamier if you make it at home. But even shop bought almond milk turns a green juice almost into a smoothie. It totally changes the taste and texture, which is important when you’re having juice every day – variety is key!
- Lemons & Limes: and finally, a simple but often overlooked one. You don’t even need to put these through the juicer, but I find just squeezing a little in at the end makes the world of difference. And for a lot of people that do initially struggle with the taste of juiced vegetables, this little addition makes all the difference.
These flavours will make juicing a joy and something you look forward to each day. But still, when you’re starting out it’s always a good idea to…
Juicing Tip #5: Have a Backup
Such is the importance of consistency when starting a new habit, I do advocate that you have the odd backup. Store bought juices aren’t really an option, but I do recommend on during the first two weeks, to make extra juice on days 2, 6, 10 and 12.
I have found, in my years of experience of coaching people on the alkaline diet, that days 3, 7, 11 and 13 are those that you’re most likely to find a reason that you don’t have time to juice.
SO on days 2, 6, 10 and 12 make an extra serve. Put a couple of ice cubes in it, put it in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. This juice will keep for 2-3 days.
IMPORTANT: the nutrient content of this juice will be far less than a fresh juice. The huge benefit you get from those absolute fresh enzymes and nutrients is incredible – but this does dissipate over time. These backup juices are really a last resort – but I’d WAY rather you have one of those than miss a day or give up.
And again, in my experience of teaching this stuff since 2004, I’ve found that when you miss one milestone, your chances of giving up completely shoot right up.
So make the extra and have the backup.
If you don’t need it – the worst case scenario is on days 2, 6, 10 and 12 you’ll have TWO juices (yep, about 14 serves of vegetables!).
Delicious Juice Recipes
To help make that habit, with those awesome flavours, I have put together a Juice Recipe Starter Pack for you!
It contains ten delicious, varied juice recipes – from starter (sweeter) through to hard-core greenies (kale-tactic!), and you can get that now by clicking here or on the handsome picture below.
I’ll also email you some goodies to help make the juice habit even easier.
Plus I’m already working on my next juicing guide, which is a lot more how-to, benefits, which juicer, which ingredients for which goal etc – type of guide and I’ll let you know as soon as that’s ready.
If You Can Make This a Habit It Will Change Your Life Forever!
Everyone who makes juicing part of their daily life agrees – it is incredible the difference it makes.
And adding Just 2 or 3 of these tips will help make this a daily ritual for you, and the best part is, the more you do it, the more you’ll want to.
You will get addicted to the feeling it gives you, and the way you look in the mirror…and the way your clothes fit!
So let’s get juicing and make life AWESOME!
p.s. if you have any juice-habit tips of your own, share them in the comments below!