Shredded Kale & Brussels Creamy Salad Recipe
This is such an awesome springtime salad, I love it. It’s basically either summer or spring in Brisbane (yes, that’s bragging) so I enjoy this all-year-round. The crunchy-creamy combo is always a winner, and the hemp seeds add that texture similar to having parmesan in there.
It’s just perfect.
Of course – kale, cabbage, spinach, carrot, Brussels, flax…it’s super alkaline and so nutrient dense. Masses of chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and match-winners glutathione and sulforaphane.
Let’s do this!
For the salad:
2 medium bunches Tuscan kale finely chopped
1/4 red cabbage
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 medium-large carrot
10 brussels sprouts
1/2 cup of hemp seeds
3/4 cup pine nuts
Optional: handful of dried cranberries OR 1 fresh pomegranate
For the dressing:
(note: this makes more than you need)
1 lemon (Juiced)
1 handful of Parsley
1 handful of Coriander (Cilantro)
1 handful of Mint
3 big handfuls of Spinach
1/4 cup of Pumpkin Seeds
1/4 cup of Flax Seeds
Himalayan Salt & Black Pepper to taste
50-100ml of Water (or more to your own taste)
- Start by finely chopping the kale, cabbage, spinach and Brussels. Put these into a large bowl and toss together.
- Now spiralize, or make ribbons of the carrot (techniques below), and put this with the leaves.
- Throw in the hemp and pine nuts and the optional fruit and mix roughly together
- Next onto the dressing: this is simple, put it all into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth – starting with 50ml of water, and adding more until it’s your desired consistency.
- Mix the dressing through the salad quite liberally and enjoy!
In terms of easy prep, here’s a couple of technique videos (especially if you don’t have a spiralizer)!
Shredding the Cabbage
Carrot or Zucchini Noodles