The health of your entire body is absolutely dependent upon the health of your liver.
It is responsible for so many of your body’s functions such as storing and synthesising vitamins, minerals and sugars (for fuel), cleansing and detoxifying your blood, controlling cholesterol levels and in conjunction with your kidneys and your lymph system it keeps your body clean and clear of waste.
So how does the liver become unhealthy?
To put it simply – modern life. Alcohol, tobacco, environmental pollutants, food additives, pesticides, cosmetics, household products, stress, pharmaceuticals and building materials can all kill liver cells.
The result is the overproduction and non-processing of toxins. These toxins then lead to:
- anxiety/ depression
- impaired libido
- and potentially mental conditions such as Alzheimerâ€™s and Parkinsonâ€™s Disease
- Milk Thistle – having been used for over 2000 years as a herbal health aid, Milk Thistle is widely regarded as the daddy of liver health. It helps to protect liver cells by blocking the absorption of toxins and helps to remove them from the liver. However, this is not all! Milk Thistle is also a very powerful antioxidant – helping to protect other areas of the body from free radicals and other toxins.
- Dandelion Root – useful in both liver and other digestive treatments, Dandelion Root stimulates the flow of bile and speeds up the removal of toxins.
- Artichoke Leaves – provide exceptional regeneration effects in the liver, and similarly to Dandelion, Artichoke stimulates the flow of bile from the liver to the gall bladder where toxins can be removed. If the bile stays around the liver then damage can be done!
- Boldo Leaf – acts as a strong antioxidant, antiseptic and choleretic (like the above two herbs). Boldo is also very, very rich in phytonutrients.
- Astragalus – has both anti-viral and immune-strengthening properties, making it much revered in China. A key component is saponin – which has been shown to protect against chemically induced liver damage.
And if none of those tickle your liver’s fancy – why not give our Ultimate Liver Cleanse Recipe a whirl?!
As ever – with all herbal and any other type of supplement or health product – it is best to speak to your doctor before embarking on a new program.