When people first start the alkaline diet they almost almost make all (or almost all) of these mistakes.
If you are making any of these mistakes can do almost all of the hard work you put in.
It’s why so many people can find the alkaline diet hard at first, when in reality it should be fun and enjoyable and pretty darn easy.
Let me show you how…
Let’s Turn These Common Mistakes into STRENGTHS!
But when you take these common ‘mistakes’ and turn them into strengths (which I am about to show you how to do!) the alkaline diet becomes easy, enjoyable, easy to stick to and fun.
Plus the results you get are double or triple what you would have gotten before, with less effort required!
My Strength Is Making the Alkaline Diet Easy for People Just Like You…
It has always been my mission to make the alkaline diet easy, enjoyable and fun (and therefore long-term and sustainable). And in my eleven years experience (ELEVEN YEARS! It’s gone so fast!) I have truly gotten to the core of why some people get alkaline and get results easily, while others struggle and give up.
It’s not down to body type. It’s not down to blood type. It’s not down to your previous diet. It’s not down to how fit you are. It’s not down to whether you give up meat or not.
It’s not down to anything other than your approach – fuelling the body instead of focusing on restrictions, seeing yourself and your body as a team instead of working against one another…realising that if you give your body the nutrients and tools it needs it will thrive and you will flourish…
And those first few days and weeks are SO important.
NOTE: The First Few Days Are the Difference Between Success & Failure
Bigger than that: the first few days are the difference between:
- An alkaline life or a life of giving up, yo-yo dieting, never reaching your full health potential
- Finding it fun and easy or feeling like you’re fighting your body, struggling, hungry, fed up and tired
- Getting results FAST or hitting a brick wall for days and weeks before you push hard enough to break through
So let’s get into those mistakes and I will show you specifically, step-by-step how to turn each around and make it a strength!
The FIVE Biggest Mistakes Most Alkaline Beginners Make (…and how to turn them into strengths)
Mistake #1: Aiming for Perfection from Day One:
In my eleven years of experience, working with people from all walks of life, with all different backgrounds and history and with all different goals – one thing is almost always certain. When people first start the alkaline diet, they start off striving for perfection.
But when they start out, common sense seems to go out of the window and they try to do it all at once!
This is probably true of most people when they start with most changes to their health or lifestyle with any diet plan or new gym regime.
But let me make this clear:
When you try to be perfect from day one, you set yourself up for failure!
I’m here to tell you now – in all of my experience, there is nothing that will lead to failure faster than striving to be perfectly alkaline from day one. Plus it makes it no fun, unenjoyable and incredibly difficult to sustain.
The good news is that starting slow, building up, taking it day-by-day and one step at a time is the FASTEST way to succeed. It truly is. My old driving instructor, Ron Ricker used to tell me “Sometimes the fastest way is to take your time” and in this instance I couldn’t agree more with Ron.
When you try to be perfect all at once, there are lots of pressure points and potential points of failure.
…and most of all – the hardest thing is this: trying to give up everything at the same time as introduce new foods and habits…all at the same time…is too much!
When you’re in the process of giving stuff up, you have to battle the cravings, the habitual changes, the stress, the psychological battles, and then all at the same time as trying to think of alkaline meals to make.
This is hard.
There is a lot to take in at the start so I recommend (highly), taking it slowly and focusing at first on GETTING THE GOOD IN, not on trying to cut the bad stuff out. Sounds much easier doesn’t it?
I have a very detailed video on this coming up for you very soon (I’ll send it through once it’s ready!) but in the meantime, just keep this in mind….
Focus on the big, most important stuff. The core fundamentals that I discuss in my Beginners Guide (get this by signing up at the top of this page, or at the bottom of this article). If you focus on nailing these fundamentals (hydration, greens, oils, minerals, movement) then you’ll get 1000% bigger results than if you try to do it all at once.
Summary: Making It Into a Strength
- Don’t try to do it all at once and don’t strive to be perfect from the start!!
- Focus first on getting the GOOD in and not on restricting the bad. This will make it more fun, easy and still get you big, big results
- Take it one day and one week at a time when it comes to eliminating and transitioning away from bad foods: this week dairy, next week coffee. And don’t move onto the next one until you’ve nailed the current one!
- Focus on the FUNDAMENTALS first, the 20% of things that will give you 80% of the overall benefit: hydration, greens, oils, minerals and moderate exercise. Just these five small changes, when compounded, will get you a huge benefit.
Mistake #2: Preparedness
Be prepared. Oh yes, the boy scout motto has never been truer!
A lack of preparation will undo even the most experienced alkaliser!
I have been studying and coaching the alkaline diet, as I mentioned, for a long time now. I’ve closely examined what makes people succeed, what makes them fail and success always leaves clues.
I have seen, over and over, that in a vast number of cases where people are going great and then suddenly crash – a lack of preparation is the reason. Hunger kicks in and there is no healthy option.
…you get home from work, tired, stressed and HUNGRY. The kids are hungry. It’s time for dinner. It’s dark and cold outside and there is no way you’re going out there, even if you had the time, to go shopping for groceries. What’s in the house will have to do it. BUT what’s in the house is not a pretty sight. So you just have to grab/cook whatever is easiest and quickest to make to feed all of these hungry bodies. And convenience foods, the stuff that’s left in the cupboard when everything else has been eaten is almost always acidic.
And even if that isn’t the situation, when you’re not prepared but you DO have a bunch of raw ingredients in the fridge and pantry, if you’re not prepared and knowing what you’re going to cook it can be soooo hard to invent a meal that’s going to be not only alkaline, but delicious enough that the whole family will want to eat it.
And if that isn’t the situation either, consider that time when you’re hungry for a snack but don’t have anything alkaline on hand to make it a healthy snack. But the hunger is gnawing away at you. What will you eat?
And even if none of those are the situation(!) – imagine breakfast time when you’re in a hurry, late for work and don’t have something that is quick AND alkaline to grab? Can you imagine what you might have?
Being prepared is simple. It’s about developing a bank of easy, delicious, alkaline recipes that become your staples. Meals that you can always fall back on.
Being prepared is also about knowing what meals you’re going to eat in the next few days, forward planning and then, shock horror, shopping for those ingredients you need so you can make those meals!
It’s all about having a little bit of preparation, foresight and planning so that it enables you to live alkaline easily, and deliciously!
This is why the folks in my Alkaline Base Camp membership do so well and so easily – because each month they get a new set of menus, with their daily meals planned out and an itemized shopping list laid out for them – so they just need to shop, follow the meal plan and it’s all done for them.
Having this resource for yourself is a HUGE win – and makes it all so much easier.
I HIGHLY recommend planning out your meals each week, fortnight or month and going through this exercise yourself. It is often the difference between success and failure.
If you want to find out more about joining the Alkaline Base Camp so you can have this done for you – click here to check it out and get started.
Alkaline Base Camp Member Extra
Access your Monthly Menu Plans, Recipes & Itemized Shopping Lists in The Alkaline Base Camp Members Portal
Grab your alkaline menus, print out your shopping list – buy the foods and follow your daily meal plan…and get alkalized and energized!
It’s as easy as ABC!
Not an Alkaline Base Camp member? Click here to learn more about the Alkaline Base Camp
Summary: Turning the Mistake Into a Strength
- Don’t leave it to fate! If you live and shop and eat day to day you will get caught out – hungry but only with access to acidic foods
- A little bit of forethought will go a LONG way: plan your meals ahead at least 3 days in advance and shop for those foods!
- Always have a shortlist of ingredients – 8-10 ingredients you can always have in the house which mean you can make 5-6 simple alkaline meals and snacks at the drop of a hat.
- Always have a couple of ‘get out of jail, free’ snacks available to you at all times – nuts & seeds, sprouted breads, avocados, tomatoes make excellent options
Mistake #3: Digestion
So few people realise the important of the digestive system. I think it’s the most important thing to focus on when you first start to go alkaline. When you have been eating an acidic, less than healthy diet for a while, your digestive system gets clogged up and impacted. It gets chock-a-block full of yeast, bacteria, mycotoxins and candida. Both of these situations are not good for you and your health goals.
And worst of all, they will mean you’re only getting a fraction of the benefit from the hard work you’re putting in. Let me explain.
- When your digestive system is compromised and acidic, you will get into a cycle of bacteria, yeast, acidity, candida and more. The more there is, the more wastes these produce, the more they then feed on these wastes and grow and the more acidic and bacteria you get.
SO many problems emerge from this. Candida, of course, reflux, and research STRONGLY links digestive issues such as IBS with the existence of bacteria and yeasts in the digestive system, for example.
The more acidic you are, the worse this gets and it snowballs.
If you believe you have a yeast/carb/sugar addiction – this is a symptom AND a reason.
- A clogged and impacted digestive system will mean you’re only absorbing a fraction of the nutrients you’re consuming! When your digestive system is full of undigested matter, yeasts etc. these wastes coat the walls of your large intestines, which is where your nutrient absorption is supposed to take place.
Your large intestine walls are covered with tiny little finger like things called villi that have the job of absorbing all of the nutrients from the foods you consume.
But of course, when you’re intestine walls are covered in old matter, candida and bacterial overgrowth, these villi are covered and impacted and cannot do their job!
THIS IS EXCITING NEWS! It means that as soon as you start to clean out your digestive system your results will suddenly POP – even though you’re not doing anything different!
More results, with no extra work required!
While going alkaline will make this process of cleansing start to work, there are some simple things you can do to speed this up considerably – especially when you’re first starting out.
There are certain foods you can include more of that will rapidly speed the cleansing of your digestive system. In another guide I’ll go more into each of these foods, how to use them and give some recipes, but for now, just shop for them and include them!
– Greens (collards, kale, spinach etc)
– Sweet Potatoes
Plus a special shout goes to grapefruit as a snack as it is mildly alkaline and helps support the digestive system with a high content of pectin fiber which is a great cleanser.
Plus of course these foods are terrible for your digestive system – processed foods, fast foods, fatty foods (as in trans fats), low water content foods, sugar, yeast etc.
The two best supplements you can use, in my opinion are:
1) Psyllium Husks: which are a combination of insoluble and soluble fibre and are the very best cleansing fibre supplement I have ever come across. Cheap and easily found online and offline.
2) pH Miracle’s pHlush: powerful, so use gently and slowly at first. It’s an oxidiser in the alimentary canal and acts like an ‘at-home colonic’! It’s fantastic for clearing out the digestive system!
Hydration, hydration, hydration. You simply cannot be dehydrated and have a properly functioning digestive tract. It just ain’t gonna happen. Aim to drink between 2-4 litres of clean, filtered and preferably alkaline water each day, without fail. Your whole body, not just your digestive system, will thank you for it.
Incomplete chewing and talking while eating can cause premature swallowing. Our digestive systems are not designed to digest large pieces of food, so putting large pieces in our stomachs can lead to incomplete digestion (aka: digestive discomfort). The digestive process starts with chewing, which naturally churns the food. Chewing also releases digestive enzymes to further aid in the digestive process.
The same goes for having massive mouthfuls. When you have a big mouthful, then chew – it expands and forces you to swallow prematurely, putting even more pressure on the digestive system.
Eating when you are rushed increases your stress and slows down the digestive process. Create a nice calming atmosphere while eating. And take your time. Here’s a simple rule I put into place for myself to stop myself hurrying through meals:
– don’t allow yourself to touch your fork until your current mouthful has been completely chewed and swallowed.
So many people start racking up their next mouthful before they’re even chewing their current mouthful. Don’t do this. Savour each mouthful. Enjoy your meal.
Having big meals less often is much more stressful on the digestive system than having smaller meals more often. Eating little and often will also prevent you getting into that position I mentioned earlier of being so hungry you just have to grab whatever you can (which is almost always acidic!).
Summary: Turning this Mistake Into a Strength
- Don’t ignore the digestive system! Give it love (especially in the early days) and your results will be SO FAST!
- Focus on the high fibre foods to begin with green vegetables, beans, chickpeas, grapefruit, avocado, celery etc.
- Try to move away from the foods that will encourage yeast to keep growing in your digestive system: simple carbs, refined foods, processed foods etc
- Get some psyllium husks!
- Eat slowly, relax, enjoy your meals
- Hydration, hydration, hydration!
Mistake #4: Quantities
This is a funny one, but true. When most people start the alkaline diet they eat so little! For some reason quantities go out of the window and they start eating these tiny little meals!
I don’t know why!
The best thing you can do to repair and alkaline, cleanse your body and digestive system is to flood your body with nutrients, and you’ll only be able to do that by eating lots!
I generally don’t like to talk about calories in/out – especially when it comes to weight loss, but in this instance I will reference it simply to say: these people are getting nowhere near enough protein, calories or fats!
You really do need to keep on eating lots when you go alkaline. It’s no good to cut out all the crap and replace it with a plain salad. You still need to be getting a varied, mixed diet, with protein, complex carbs, oils, loads of veggies, high water content foods, nutrient dense foods etc.
Important: you should NEVER be hungry on the alkaline diet.
If you are often hungry, you’re doing it wrong and you should email me to trouble shoot with you to make this right.
So make sure you’re getting enough food each day! Here is a sample day’s meal plan for you that will definitely keep you full and not hungry or missing any of your vital nutrients!
And if you throw in snacks like almonds and other nuts and seeds, sprouted bread toasted with avocado & tomato, an alkaline salad wrap, hummous with veggie sticks etc you will NOT be going hungry.
(note: all recipes taken from my Alkaline Diet Recipe Book)
Making It Into a Strength Summary:
- Never go hungry
- Eat LOTS
- Remember to get enough oils, complex carbs and proteins, if you’re ever worried
- Make 2x your main meals and freeze some to eat later as snacks or as a second serve if you get hungry an hour or so later
- Being hungry is an acidic state – don’t let it happen!
- Have alkaline snacks handy at all times when you’re first starting out
Bringing It All Together: Turning Potential Pitfalls into Big Wins
If you follow this guide to avoid these common mistakes then what you are actually doing is this:
1) Focusing on the core, most powerful alkaline actions you can take (avoiding perfection)
2) You’re ensuring you’re always eating highly alkaline, delicious meals (being prepared)
3) Eating an abundance of alkaline foods that will cleanse your digestion to give you double the results, twice as fast (digestive cleansing)
4) Eating LOADS of alkaline, nutrient dense foods to allow your body to cleanse, repair and then thrive (getting the right quantities).
These four common mistakes are now all pulling in the same direction to give you a compounded benefit. Doing these four things will give you a benefit greater than the sum of it’s parts.
Using this in conjunction with the Beginner’s Guide (sign up below if you haven’t already) will leave you feeling AMAZING, but more importantly, they’ll make the alkaline diet exactly what it should be (and what I strive to make it): easy, enjoyable and sustainable.
Do You Want to Turn Your Health Around in Just 7 Days for Just $1.99?
If you love the look of this guide and the benefits it will bring, check out my book The Alkaline Reset Cleanse. It's a gentle, enjoyable seven-day Cleanse that will completely transform your health and life. Abundant energy, dramatic weight loss, digestion healed, inflammation gone...these are all results my students have experienced from doing their Alkaline Reset Cleanse...
LIMITED TIME OFFER: The Alkaline Reset Cleanse Book is Just $1.99 (Kindle/eReader) -- Click to order now and get over $120+ of extra alkaline training from me!
Real Results from the Alkaline Reset Cleanse Book: