Alkaline Recipe #181 – Shredded Zesty Brussels & Kale
This alkaline salad is full of flavour, crunch, zesty flavours and just feels SO fresh!
Who would have thought Brussels Sprouts could taste delicious?!
This salad is just AMAZING.
Alkaline, crunchy, zesty, nutrient-dense and full of flavour – it takes minutes to make, and lasts in the fridge (even dressed!) for days.
It is definitely one of my ‘go-to’ recipes at home, and especially when I’m taking a dish to a friends.
The real winner of this, however, is that kids seem to LOVE it. Even those who don’t like green things seem to get stuck in and enjoy it (and from reports from friends, picky-eating partners also love it too).
If you’re looking for a way to sneak the goodness into your kids or husband/wife – this is it.
Shredded & Zesty Brussels and Kale Alkaline Salad Recipe
Serves 4 as a main, 8 as a side
– 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale
– 15 Brussels sprouts
– 1/3 cup raw almonds
– 2 tbsp pine nuts
– 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
– Himalayan pink salt
– Coarse ground black pepper
– 1 tbsp minced shallots
– 2 small garlic cloves, minced
– 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1 tsp honey
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 8 mint leaves, finely chopped
Instructions: How to Make this Alkaline Salad
- Start by preparing the salad dressing, and this is simple – put all of the ingredients into a bowl and gently whisk together. You don’t need to blend in a blender – just mixing together is fine.
- Next, prepare the kale by washing thoroughly, and then remove the thick stem. Next roll the leaves and slice finely to create thin strips (ribbons).
- Next up is the brussels – prepare these by chopping off the thick stalk along the bottom, then cutting in half and slicing very finely.
- Put both greens into a bowl and then prepare the almonds by chopping roughly and even bashing with the flat side of a knife until they’re nice and ground/bashed. Add these to the bowl.
- Now toss through the pine nuts and pomegranate seeds and you’re ready to dress!
- Add the dressing a little at a time, it is quite easy to overdo dressings, so add a 1/4, mix through and taste…then add more etc. until you’re happy with the flavour combination.
- Now serve and enjoy! Again, remember that this can be dressed ahead of time, so you don’t have to worry about it going limp and yuk overnight – it will keep for at least 24 hours