In This Guide You Will Get: the lowdown on what’s REALLY in the packaged taco seasoning you buy at the store PLUS my amazing, fast 3-ingredient taco seasoning recipe (plus video)
Food is supposed to be simple, natural and nourishing.
Not toxic, chemical-laden, fake and manipulated to get you addicted (more on that in a bit).
People often associate eating healthy foods with bland flavours (plain ol’ salad salad salad all day long).
Nothing could be further from the truth.
It’s actually so easy to make healthy food that’s fast, easy and DELICIOUS (delicious enough that the whole family will enjoy it – even the ‘unhealthy ones’).
Yes, healthy convenience food does exist.
You just need to know a few simple ‘hacks’ (like I’m about to show you below).
But first I want to highlight what is REALLY in your store bought taco seasoning. I’m making an example of it.
You need to know this because processed, packaged convenience foods are almost always packed with toxic, cell-destroying, carcinogenic chemicals, additives and preservatives.
How They Crammed NINE Toxic Ingredients Into Your Taco Seasoning
How can you go wrong with that? It’s just spices, right?
Pretty much anything and everything packaged for your convenience is a risk, and these little sachets of flavour are a perfect example of how you either have to just cut processed/packaged foods or be incredibly diligent and careful.
I examined two of the most popular Mexican food brands’ taco seasoning (you can probably guess which two brands they are) and found no less than NINE toxic, acidifying, health-destroying additives across these two packets.
This Is What Is Inside Your Taco Seasoning:
- Wheat: containing gluten (of course) which is proven to damage your digestive system, spike blood sugar and contribute to insulin resistance, damage your intestinal wall, overstimulate the immune system and more.
- White Flour: the same as wheat while also containing none of the fibre, and more rapidly acid-forming in the body
- Maltodextrin: firstly, most maltodextrin in the USA is derived from GMO crops. That’s the first concern. However, it’s also been associated with digestive disorders and the onset of allergies and most worryingly the long term effect of constantly eating foods containing maltodextrin is that your body will begin to secrete more and more insulin.
- Partially hydrogenated soybean oil: according to Dr Mercola “Soybean oil is “Completely unnatural man-made fats created through the partial hydrogenation process cause dysfunction and chaos in your body on a cellular level, and studies have linked trans-fats to health problems ranging from obesity and diabetes to reproductive problems and heart disease”
- Ethoxyquin: a synthetic antioxidant (don’t be fooled by that – it’s not good) that is so unsafe and disgusting that there is huge controversy as to whether it should be allowed in pet and animal feed. AND YET IT’S IN TACO SEASONING! The European Food Safety Authority “cannot conclude on the safety of ethoxyquin as a feed additive for any target animals, its safety for consumers or the environment.” This is an additive that we should not be eating. Nor our pets.
- Monosodium glutamate: Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of “Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills” explains that MSG is an excitotoxin, which means it overexcites your cells to the point of damage or death (the same as aspartame and other sweeteners which we’ll get on to), causing brain damage to varying degrees and possibly even causing the worsening of learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease plus more.
- Sugar: I probably don’t have to expand on this one.
- Yellow cornflour: according to Vani at FoodBabe.com “(it) is a highly processed chemically-altered form of corn that is added to processed food as a cheap texturizing agent – and it’s not a natural ingredient that you would use in the kitchen. The corn that it’s derived from is likely GMO, asmore than 90% of corn in the U.S. is genetically modified.”
- Natural flavourings: ‘Natural’ flavours (and colors) means nothing natural. There are so many ways to qualify a flavour or color as ‘natural’ when in reality it was created in a lab just like an artificial color or flavour – and is just as bad (if not worse) for you.Natural flavors are mostly chemical-based and synthetically created and most are carcinogenic and proven to be a health risk. Some natural flavors even contain propylene glycol, a solvent, or the carcinogenic preservative BHA.
[See Also: The Seven Most Acid-Forming Foods]
Important: this is just ONE example of the hidden toxins in a packaged foods. Most convenient, packaged, processed foods are the same. They largely all contain toxic colorings, flavourings, preservatives, anti-caking agents, fillers, glutens, sugars and more. The best way to avoid 99% of these horrible toxins is to eat fresh as much as possible.
The Simple, 3-Ingredient, 100% Natural & Healthy Taco Seasoning
To replace this avalanche of chemicals and artificial crap, you can replicate the exact same flavour in about 30 seconds with just three natural, health-giving, powerful ingredients.
Cumin, cinnamon and chilli.
Honestly. And it tastes fantastic in practically any Mexican dish.
Take equal parts cumin powder, cinnamon powder and chilli powder (or cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and dried chilli and smash them up in your pestle and mortar).
And that’s it
Alkaline Base Camp Member Extra
Access your ‘NINE 3-Ingredient Spice Blends’ in The Alkaline Base Camp Members Portal
These blends will make any meal taste SENSATIONAL and they’re SO easy to make!
Not an Alkaline Base Camp member? Click here to learn more about the Alkaline Base Camp
Doesn’t that sound better than cumin, chilli, cinnamon and MSG, maltodextrin, gluten, sugar, hydrogenated oils, Ethoxyquin and modified corn starch?.
Combining spices and herbs is such a simple way to add HUGE flavour (and nutrients) to your foods.
And you can use this simple spice combination as a taco/nacho/fajita/enchilada seasoning, a meat rub, in wraps, in salad dressings and so much more.
It is just another example of how eating healthy & alkaline *CAN* be delicious, fast and easy – especially when you have someone who can show you how.
Enjoy and let me know your questions or comments below.