The Adrenal Restoring Green Juice
Stress is not just an emotion. It is a physical reaction in our body that, yes, can be triggered by the emotion of stress, or worry, anxiety, fear, and so on. But far more frequently it is our DIET that is the triggering this physiological reaction in our body.
When the body is under stress, the adrenal glands release cortisol, which then triggers several physiological changes in the body to prepare it to deal with stress. For example, it increases blood sugar levels, enhances your brain’s use of glucose, and suppresses non-essential functions like digestion and the immune response. This is commonly referred to as the “fight or flight” response.
It causes havoc in the body, and while our fast-paced, stressful modern life causes the ’emotional’ cortisol release and pressure on the adrenals, most people don’t realise but being in a state of diet-induced acidosis ALSO triggers this stress, and causes the adrenals to release cortisol (1), (2).
That’s right, an acidic diet causes chronic elevated cortisol levels.
One of the Most Devestating Outcomes of an Acidic Diet
When our body is constantly bombarded with an acidic diet, and is forced to go through the stress of trying to balance blood pH, this stress triggers the adrenals to release cortisol.
Now, if we think back to caveman/paleo/ancient or whatever times you want to think of…a long time ago, before the modern developed world, we did NOT have the constant triggering of stress, and therefore cortisol production. Every now and then there would be a saber-tooth tiger nearby, or an attack from a rival tribe, or the threat of hunger, and this would be stressful.
In other words, it would happen every few months.
Fast forward to today…
95% of people nowadays are eating something along the lines of the Standard Modern Diet…sugar, gluten, processed foods, refined foods, trans fats, fast foods, takeaways, colors, preservatives, flavors, and sweeteners…an acidic diet.
And when blood pH goes down, the body does everything it takes to regain it to a safe level.
But one of the outcomes of that is the STRESS that this causes leads to cortisol being produced, 24/7, 365.
We were not designed for this.
Chronically elevated levels of cortisol can have a range of negative effects on the body, including:
- Weight gain
- Mood swings and mental health issues such as anxiety or depression
- Sleep disturbances
- Weakening of the immune system
- Increased blood pressure and risk of heart disease
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Hormonal imbalances
And it has been identified as a pre-cursor to many of the most common cancers.
We HAVE to Change This! AND We Have to Heal Your Adrenals…
Micronutrients and Adrenal Health
Your adrenal glands need specific micronutrients to function optimally. Some key players in supporting adrenal health are:
- Vitamin C for hormone production, particularly cortisol.
- Vitamin B5 for fat and carbohydrate metabolism and adrenal cortical function.
- Vitamin B6 is involved in the production of neurotransmitters.
- Magnesium for controlling stress responses and maintaining adrenal balance.
- Zinc essential for hormone production and secretion.
- Potassium and Sodium for maintaining proper adrenal balance.
Incorporating these micronutrients into your diet can help bolster your adrenal glands, making them more resilient to stress.
Alkaline Vegetables: The Powerhouses of Micronutrients
Certain vegetables are rich in the micronutrients your adrenals crave. Here are some of them:
- Kale and Spinach are rich in Vitamin C and magnesium.
- Parsley contains Vitamin C and a touch of magnesium.
- Celery is a good source of Vitamin B5 and potassium.
- Cucumber refreshingly provides potassium.
- Red Bell Peppers are exceptionally high in Vitamin C.
- Broccoli and Zucchini are good sources of Vitamin B6, and the broccoli for sulforaphane.
- Turmeric and Ginger are incredibly potent anti-inflammatories
And the best way to get these nutrients IN, on a daily basis IS…of course….
The Adrenal Support Green Juice Recipe
Now let’s combine these nutrient powerhouses into a tasty green juice! If you have this juice 4-5 times a week it will be a HUGE help to your adrenals, and overall alkaline balance.Print
Adrenal Repair Green Juice
- 3–4 large kale leaves
- A handful of spinach
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 cucumber
- Half a medium-sized red bell pepper
- A small handful of parsley
- Half a medium-sized zucchini
- 1–2 small broccoli florets
- 1cm fresh turmeric root
- Filtered water to taste
- Rinse all vegetables under running water.
- Start juicing with leafy greens, followed by parsley, celery, cucumber, turmeric, bell pepper, zucchini, and broccoli.
- Collect the juice in a glass or jug.
- Stir well and serve immediately for the best nutrient content.
Taking care of your adrenal health is an investment in your overall well-being. This Adrenal Support Green Juice is not just refreshing but also a powerhouse of essential micronutrients. With every sip, you are nurturing your adrenal glands and taking a step towards a more energetic and stress-resilient self. Cheers to good health!
1. Robey, Ian Forrest. 2012. “Examining the Relationship between Diet-Induced Acidosis and Cancer.” Nutrition & Metabolism 9 (1): 72. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-9-72. (link)
2. Buehlmeier, Judith, Thomas Remer, Petra Frings-Meuthen, Christiane Maser-Gluth, and Martina Heer. 2015. “Glucocorticoid Activity and Metabolism with NaCl-Induced Low-Grade Metabolic Acidosis and Oral Alkalization: Results of Two Randomized Controlled Trials.” Endocrine 52 (1): 139–47. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-015-0730-7. (link)