Delicious, Crisp Green Juice to Boost Cognitive Health
Today I’m absolutely buzzing to share with you a brain-boosting juice recipe that’s as delicious as it is nourishing. We all know how essential it is to fuel our body with the right nutrients, not just for physical health, but for a sharp and resilient mind too. Cognitive health is often overlooked when it comes to nutrition, and while I will always say omega 3 and other healthy fats are the most important for brain health, there are lots of other nutrients that are so important too…
And I’ve packed them into this juice!
Imagine combining the crisp freshness of cucumber, the earthy goodness of kale and spinach, with the sweet, grounding flavors of beetroot and carrots. That’s exactly what we’re diving into today. This isn’t just a juice; it’s a vibrant blend of micronutrients meticulously chosen to boost your brain.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are a good source of vitamin K, molybdenum, and pantothenic acid. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and may help support brain health. Pantothenic acid plays a role in the synthesis of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter important for brain function.
- Celery: contains vitamins like vitamin K and folate. Folate is crucial for brain function and plays a key role in mental and emotional health. It’s also rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that can protect the brain.
- Kale: Kale is a nutrient powerhouse, rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as iron and calcium. Vitamin A is important for brain function and maintaining healthy vision. Kale is also rich in antioxidants beneficial for cognitive health, including vitamins C and E, flavonoids like quercetin and kaempferol, beta-carotene, and carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect the brain from oxidative stress and inflammation
- Spinach: Spinach is another excellent source of vitamins A, C, K, and folate, as well as manganese and iron. These nutrients support brain health, particularly in areas such as cognitive function and brain cell repair.
- Beetroot: Beetroots are high in nitrates, which can improve blood flow to the brain, enhancing cognitive performance. They also contain antioxidants that help protect the brain from oxidative stress.
- Ginger: ginger contains compounds like gingerol, which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, potentially improving brain function and offering protection against age-related decline in brain health
- Green Cabbage: Cabbage is a good source of vitamin K, vitamin C, and folates. It also has glucosinolates, which are compounds that have been shown to have neuroprotective properties.
- Carrots: Rich in beta-carotene (which the body converts into vitamin A), carrots are beneficial for maintaining healthy vision and cognitive function. They also offer antioxidants that can protect brain cells.
- Water/Coconut Water: Hydration is key for brain function. Coconut water additionally provides electrolytes like potassium, which is important for nerve function and signal transmission in the brain.
Let’s get into it!
Brain-Boosting Alkaline Juice
Find this recipe in my new book The Alkaline Life
1 medium sized cucumber
3 sticks of celery
Handul of kale (any variety)
Handful of spinach
1 small beetroot
1/4 small green cabbage
2 medium carrots
1cm fresh ginger root
Water or coconut water to taste
Juice all ingredients and add coconut water or water to taste!