I am always looking for ways to make the alkaline diet – and getting you to your health goals – easier, more achievable and more do-able.
And having recipes like these really ups the flavour and makes your “mostly-plant-based” meals delicious.
That’s one of my rules with eating healthy – it has to be ridiculously tasty.
So many people start the alkaline diet and end up eating a plate of steamed veg, or a super-plain salad every meal and then wonder why they’re giving up after 48 hours.
To turn this around, always remember that even the most simple meal can be made exciting and delicious with sauces, dips, dressings and sides, and these three cashew cheese recipes certainly do that.
They’re all from a similar base, but have their nuances that change the flavour, consistency and use. And you can make them in a decent quantity and store in the fridge too for use throughout the week – which is very handy when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen every day.
Let’s get into them – let me know which one you’re going to try first in the comments below!
Three Delicious, Alkaline & Vegan Cashew Cheese Recipes
1. Cashew Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Soak your cashews in filtered water for a minimum of 2 hours (preferably 4) - you can skip this step if you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix.
- Drain and rinse the cashews well and the put them into a blender with the garlic, water, lemon juice and sea salt
- Blend until creamy and delicious
2. Baked Cashew Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Soak the nuts for at least 6 horus, but preferably overnight in a bowl of filtered water (if you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix you can skip this step.
- Rinse the nuts thoroughly and drain and then put into the blender with the rest of the ingredients
- Blend until smooth
- Spoon the mixture from the blender into a cheesecloth and place it in a strainer or sieve over a bowl and put this in the fridge overnight (or for at least 6 hours)
- The next day turn the cheese out of the cheesecloth into an oiled, ovenproof dish and bake at 170 degrees celcius/350 degrees fahrenheit and bake this for 35-40 minutes until the cheese is firm and cracking and going golden brown.
- Serve either warm from the oven OR put in the fridge to chill.
3. Firm Cashew Cheese (Sliceable)
This one is a little more ‘involved’ that the other two, but is well worth it!
- 1 cup cashews
- 6 tbsp filtered water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp agar agar powder (or beef gelatin if not vegetarian)
- Sea salt to taste
- Start by soaking the cashews in filtered water for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight (you can skip this step if you have a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix)
- Once soaked, rinse thoroughly and drain
- Put the cashews in a blender with 4 tbsp of filtered water, the garlic clove (sliced/minced) and the lemon juice and blend until thick
- Transfer mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pan add agar agar/gelatin and 2 tablespoons of filtered water and let this stand for five minutes and then warm gently over a very low heat and stir until dissolved
- Now add the dissolved gelatin/agar agar to the cheese, season and combine until it is well mixed
- Finally, to firm - put the mixture into a small dish or bowl - oiled - smooth with a spatula and refrigerate overnight
Recipes Like These Make It SO MUCH EASIER!
P.S. Take a look at the Alkaline Recipe System. With hundreds of easy-to-prepare Alkaline recipes PLUS 7 goal-based meal plans each with itemized shopping lists (for goals including weight loss, more energy, better digestion, clearer skin and more) – it makes reaching your health goals SO easy!
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest alkaline recipes delivered weekly (it’s free).