This week Gareth Edwards, our Alkaline Diet Expert and highly qualified nutritionist, highlights ways how you can achieve better health and a healthy weight by following a diet, exercise and hydration regime based on alkalising – permanently!
The Magic Key to Weight Loss and Increased Health
I’ve been alkalising and …… I’ve put on weight. This true statement raises several interesting points, but fortunately is not the case for the majority of clients who seek my advice, wanting to lose weight. It is fairly rare that somebody comes to see me, with weight loss being their only health goal. In reality excess weight is usually associated with other health challenges of fatigue, elevated markers of risk for cardio-vascular disease (e.g. cholesterol) or other concerns.
When you want to lose weight, the reality is that you really want to do is get more healthy. Following a diet, exercise and hydration regime based on alkalising is rapidly proving to be one of the most effective ways of improving your health and achieving a healthy weight – permanently!
Too Heavy or …. Too Thin!
I’ve had many clients who have been delighted at the apparent ease with which they have lost weight when following an alkaline diet, hydration and exercise programme, quite often where other regimes have proved unsuccessful.
The important distinction to make however is, that a programme based around alkalinity and living foods should not only help you to lose weight, but also build health. You are not aiming to restrict calories or deprive yourself. It is about re-balancing your pH and re-energising your body.
Weight gain is one of the ways that bodies can “adapt” to a build up of excess acidity. We are producing acids all the time just by existing and if additionally we start eating and drinking acid forming foods and drinks our body’s ability to adapt can become overloaded.
When the acids can’t get out some people’s body’s start to warehouse them in fatty tissue, while in other people’s case they actually start to eat into the body and “burn it up”, making them too thin.
When one listens closely to testimonials from people who have succeeded in shedding unwanted pounds, through alkalising, a common theme is the dramatic (I repeat ….!) increase of their intake of green plant foods. Spinach, kale, chard, parsley, watercress, cucumbers, wheatgrass and even the green leaves that grow on the top of beetroot, lie at the heart of rebuilding your health (ergo: loosing unwanted kilos / rebuilding an undernourished body).
These plant foods have a plethora of weight normalising qualities:
1. They are low in sugar. (Stage 1 of any weight loss / health building programme – reduce your sugar intake).
2. They are high in nutrients. (They are high in vitamins and minerals essential to the functioning of a healthy and energised body)
3. When raw they have a high level of electrons or negative (alkalising) charge. (This quality can facilitate energetic “flow” within your body.)
4. They contain high amounts of magnesium. (Essential to make your heart pump and for elimination of unwanted matter through … the back door)
5. They are packed with chlorophyll. (The essential building block for healthy red blood cells – your health / weight loss “currency”)
6. They contain high levels of fibre. (Weight loss / health gain is as much about shifting unwanted matter out of your body as it is what you put in. (Remember that other sources of fibre such as bran and apples can be acidifying.)
But Vegetables are Hard to Buy / Prepare / Store. I don’t like Green Vegetables. How Can I Eat the Quantity Required?
If you have ever had any of these thoughts (and even if you haven’t!), put an order in for green powder and drops (or start drinking the ones that are lingering in your cupboard!). It’s pretty close to the real thing and you can get buckets under your belt with relatively little hassle. The alkaline water (mixed with pH drops), should make you pee more. That’s a good thing. It’s another route out for the acid.
Breaking the Vicious Cycle:
Many people who find themselves carrying a pound or two more than they would like, have an additional challenge. They actually lack the energy to get up and do much about it. Drinking or eating your greens and other nutrient dense plant foods along with alkaline fluids, healthy fats and salt should help you to start feeling like you want to get up and start running around or at least moving more. Actively choosing public transport (for example) is better for you and better for the planet.
Exercising more in the Northern hemisphere at this time of year, can be a tough call if you don’t aspire to being the next Amy Williams (1st British individual gold medal since the Stone Age at the Winter Olympics).
Some people recommend re-bounding. Apparently you can get a lot more out of short periods than with other forms of exercise. You can also listen to Owl City or Lady Gaga while you are doing it and you don’t have to go to the gym if you buy one from Energise For Life (such as The Juice Master Energise Folding Rebounder) !
Increasing your respiration rate to help eliminate unwanted acids should definitely help. Taking things to the next level and building up a sweat can really help to get the acids out too. Make sure you don’t go anaerobic for too long tough as that will build up acids. Hydrating with greens and pH drops and alkaline food afterwards is essential too.
Should you Follow an Alkalising Regime if you Feel that you are Underweight?
In a word: YES!
In my own case I dropped quite a lot of weight when I started alkalising. I have put on three kilos in recent months even though I’m on a (mainly!) alkaline diet. Before you start visualising a very large person, I’m still well within the healthy range for body mass index (BMI).
If you feel you’re under weight consider adding pHour salts and greens (such as Dr Young’s Doc Broc Greens) to your daily routine. Sometimes an inability to digest and absorb food is a major contributory factor to being underweight.
What To Do if it Doesn’t Seem to Work ….
If you have increased your intake of alkaline green foods, you are drinking your greens and pH drops, exercising more and still don’t seem to be getting the results you want here are some other factors to consider.
- Look after yourself emotionally. Over eating can be a way of “pushing down” unwanted feelings. I’d particularly recommend The Journey intensive with Brandon Bays for helping to get things moving in a friendly and relaxed environment.
- Look at other areas of your life. Do you have a sense of purpose? Do you really enjoy your job?
- Are you regularly taking any medication including oral contraceptives or have a hormone releasing coil fitted? Almost all medications have an acidifying effect on the body. Discussing possibilities for reducing your dose, maybe even stopping with a qualified physician could be a way forward. (You should consult your GP before doing this).
- Consider using clay (such as Young pHorever Terra pHirma Montmorillonite Clay)to help draw acids from your body. Mix it with psyllium (such as Ispaghula Husk) if you experience any constipation.
As acids are mobilised from body tissue, you may experience pain and digestive upset. Keep your alkaline hydration up and consider using pHour salts or acupuncture for pain management. (You should consult a pH aware physician if symptoms persist).
Action Plan for Weight Loss / Building Health:
- Alkalise! Drink your greens (such as Dr Young’s Doc Broc Greens or perfectlyhealthy Mega Greens with MSM), eat more green vegetables and fruits (cucumbers, avocados). Make green juices (vegetable based) and green smoothys. The Energise For Life Alkaline Lifestyle Course and recipe books should help.
- Use Dr. Young’s pHlavor spray and your green drink to help overcome food cravings, for carbs, sugar or chocolate.
- Exercise. Walk, swim, rebound, dance, run around with the kids, take the stairs not the lift. Gently to start with.
- Avoid constipation! Fresh vegetables and pHour salts should help to keep you regular.
- Buy and read the pH miracle for weight loss. Don’t get too hung up the finer detail. I’ve had clients lose huge amounts of weight with greens, pH drops, pHour salts and a mainly alkaline diet and hydration plan.
General Note: if you experience any adverse symptoms, you are advised to seek the guidance of a nutritionally informed physician.