New Hugely-Alkaline Salad Recipe!
This is a really quick and easy salad, that is filling, nutrient-dense and super-alkaline-forming. I love it. Chopping the ingredients just that little bit smaller creates a texture that is just so wonderful, and the combo of the crunchy from the broc and the seeds, with the creamy from the avo is fantastic. I love it.
The ingredients have been really carefully selected too. The benefits from these superfood ingredients include:
- Kale: A nutrient-dense superfood. Kale is high in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as antioxidants and phytonutrients. It also contains minerals like calcium and potassium and is a good source of fiber.
- Broccoli: Packed with vitamins C and K, fiber, and folate. It’s also rich in bioactive compounds that may contribute to reduced inflammation and protection against certain types of cancer.
- Avocado: A great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, potassium, and vitamin E. Avocados can help improve cholesterol levels and are beneficial for heart health.
- Cucumber: Hydrating and low in calories, cucumbers are good for hydration and provide a modest amount of vitamins K and C and potassium.
- Green Onions: Offer a unique combination of flavonoids and sulfur-containing nutrients, promoting cardiovascular health. They are also a good source of vitamin C.
- Pumpkin Seeds: A good source of magnesium, zinc, and fatty acids, pumpkin seeds can improve heart health, protect against certain cancers, and contribute to better sleep.
- Sunflower Seeds: Rich in healthy fats, essential vitamins like E and B6, and minerals such as selenium and magnesium. They can support heart health and help fight inflammation.
- Hemp Seeds: Exceptionally rich in two essential fatty acids, omega-6 and omega-3, and also contain gamma-linolenic acid, which has several health benefits. They are a good source of protein and can aid digestion due to high fiber content.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Contains monounsaturated fats and is high in antioxidants. It has anti-inflammatory properties, can help lower the risk of heart disease, and is beneficial for controlling cholesterol levels.
- Lemon Juice: High in vitamin C and antioxidants. It supports the immune system, improves skin health, and aids in digestion.
Yum, easy and SO beneficial!
Let’s get into it.Print
Green Power Salad with Kale, Broccoli, and Avocado
- 2 cups of kale, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup of cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: Fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Prepare the Kale and Broccoli:
- Place the finely chopped kale and broccoli in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt over the greens.
- Use your hands to massage the kale and broccoli until the leaves start to soften and the broccoli becomes less coarse, about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine the Salad:
- To the massaged kale and broccoli, add the diced avocado and cucumber.
- Sprinkle the green onions and the mix of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, and hemp seeds) over the top.
- Dress the Salad:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to ensure everything is well coated.
- Garnish and Serve:
- If using, sprinkle the chopped fresh herbs over the salad for an extra burst of flavor.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, perhaps adding a little more lemon juice or a dash more olive oil.
- Let the salad sit for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend together.