Raw, Vegan, “Lava Chocolate Bites”
These are absolutely phenomenal, a real treat! They’re not super-alkaline, of course, but they’re also not particularly acid-forming, as some of the sugars are most certainly offset by the alkaline minerals in the cacao and the healthy fats from the nuts and coconut oil.
They don’t take a huge amount of time to make, but are VERY impressive 🙂
Let’s get into them!
For the bites:
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2tbsp chia seeds
- 4 medium-sized dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
For the ‘lava’
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Coconut or almond milk, to use as needed (see notes below)
- Start by putting the oats, chia, walnuts and cacao into your food processor or blender, and pulse until it’s all ground down into a kind of rough flour.
- Now add the 4 chopped dates, one at a time until it becomes a bit more sticky.
- Take around 2/3 of the mixture and in a cupcake tin, line the edges to create sides and a bottom and then refrigerate and create the tops by pressing out the remaining 1/3 of the mix into tops that are approx the size of your bases. Put these in the refrigerator too.
- To make the ‘lava’ blend all of the ingredients together, adding the nut milk a little at a time to reach the right consistency. You want it to be quite thick.
- Now pour the lava into your set moulds and then add the ‘lids’ while still in the cupcake tray. Lift each one out carefully and place on your serving plate.
- Serve with coconut yoghurt or as they are!