Cauliflower & Lentil Soup: Alkaline, Anti-Inflammatory & Delicious!
This is a brand-new soup I whipped up last week to warm and nourish the fam on a ‘cold’ winter’s day here in Brisbane. It went down a treat.
It’s deep, rich, warming and so, so full of goodness.
The combination of the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower gives plenty of sulforaphane among other powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
The turmeric gives a hit of anti-inflammatory power like no other…
Then there is the healthy fats from the coconut oil, cashews and hemp seeds…the protein and fibre from the lentils…the anti-viral power from the garlic…the all-round green goodness from the spinach…
It’s a delicious and nutrient-dense super soup!
Give it a try this weekend!
Rich Cauliflower & Lentil Soup
1 small head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
1/2 small head of broccoli, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely diced
1 cm of fresh turmeric root, sliced
1/4 head of green cabbage, roughly sliced
1 small brown onion, diced
150ml of dried lentils
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
A handful of cashews
2 tbsp of hemp seeds (optional)
250ml of filtered water
Gluten-free vegetable stock cube / 1tsp of vegetable bouillon powder
Himalayan salt & black pepper
Optional: coconut cream to garnish
- Start by gently sauteeing the onion in a little coconut oil, in a large pan. After 2-3 minutes add the garlic and turmeric and stir for a few seconds to coat it all in oil, and then add the cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and the cashews and hemp seeds.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the water and the stock/bouillon powder, stir and then add the dried lentils and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, return to a simmer and allow to cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After this time has passed and the lentils are cooked and tender, transfer everything to a blender, and add in the spinach leaves (feel free to add more if you like), and blend everything until completely smooth. Season to taste.
- Serve with an optional swirl of coconut cream!