Over 24 million Americans have Type 2 Diabetes (6 million don’t know) and over 86 million have pre-diabetes.
And this study in the The British Medical Journal has proven that eating alkaline foods, especially dark green leafy foods has been proven to significantly reduce the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
The research, which is a meta-analysis, showed that
“Increasing daily intake of green leafy vegetables could significantly reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes…
Increasing the amount of green leafy vegetables in an individual’s diet could help to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. An increase of 1.15 servings a day was associated with a 14% decrease in incidence.”
This is so important – just small changes can get things moving quickly in the right direction!
You don’t have to do it all at once, you just have to get started.
This is where most people get unstuck. They built it up too much in their head that they have to do it all at once or it’s not worth doing…and then get paralyzed by this expectation and do nothing!
In the UK studies show that 86% of all men and women consume less than the recommended 5-a-day, with 62% consuming less than THREE-a-day…and this includes FRUIT!
And this study has estimated that not eating enough vegetables could have accounted for over 2.6 million deaths worldwide in 2002.It was estimated that inadequate consumption of fruit and vegetables could have accounted for 2.6 million deaths worldwide in the year 2000.
How to Get Those Extra Serves of Leafy Greens
The study summarises with:
“The potential for tailored advice on increasing intake of green leafy vegetables to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes should be investigated further”
And this is where I come in!
I recommend that the ideal is seven serves of greens daily for incredible, wonderful health and energy…but this article today is all about just getting started.
Seven Ways to Get That Extra 1.15 Serves of Greens Per Day
- Have a Side Salad with Dinner or Lunch: we’re just talking a handful of spinach, dressed with lemon and olive oil and a little S&P. As simple as that – and this would actually be more like 2 serves!
- Shave a Head of Broccoli into Dinner: this hides the greens in your food, without you noticing or tasting it. I know it’s not leafy, but it’s a powerhouse food!
- Wilt Spinach into Sauces: if you’re making a pasta sauce or a curry sauce, you can wilt a serve per person into it, again, without anyone really noticing! It’s a great way to sneak it in…
- Lettuce Instead of Wraps: this is a super-winner because it can replace a gluten-containing ingredient too – simply replace your wrap with a big lettuce leaf and wrap up your salad wrap in lettuce!
- Cook into Pasta: if you’re making a pasta dish (gluten free of course) simply throw in a serve of chopped greens such as spinach, kale or beet greens into the boiling water a minute before it’s finished. You wont even notice it’s there when you eat it!
- Juices & Smoothies: of course. Adding a green juice or smoothie to your daily diet can instantly increase your greens intake by up to as much as 6 or 7 serves in one single hit!
- Breakfast Scrambles: if you’re making a scramble for breakfast (I like to use tofu – I don’t eat a lot of soy but have it here and there) then scrambling spinach and kale into your scramble is a great way to get greens at breakfast
Here are a few recipes to get you started, but you will find so many more in my Alkaline Diet Recipe Book (volumes 1 and 2).
If you order at the moment you get both books for the price of one too.
Sauce with Spinach/Greens: Alkaline Green Goddess Sauce
Remember – baby steps, one day at a time…you don’t have to be perfect from day one, but if you did one of each of these seven ideas per day, you’d be getting extra greens every day of the week!