Cleansing Fat Flush Juice
Delicious, Alkaline Cleansing Fat Flush Juice!
This cleansing, fat flush, nutrient-dense juice is one of my absolute favorites. I love it.
It tastes great, really, really great and it contains just five ingredients. But every single one of them is nutritious, alkalizing and simply brilliant for weight loss.
Before we get into the juice recipe, let’s take a little look at what each of these powerhouse ingredients can do for you:
The Powerhouse Ingredients – Why This Juice Works so Well:
- Baby Spinach: spinach is a rich source of the chlorophyll-containing parts of the green plant cell, called thylakoids. Studies have shown that these thylakoid cells contain a hundred different membrane proteins, as well as various vitamins (A, E and K) and antioxidants like carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin, and chlorophyll (1).This mixture of plant compounds found in the thylakoids have been proven to prevent cravings, increase satiety (2) (feeling fuller for longer), balance blood glucose (3) and increase the efficiency of fat digestion (4) (to make you digest fat in the way the body USES it instead of stores it).Juicing spinach is possibly the best way of getting a concentrated hit of these amazing thylakoids.
- Kale: also rich in chlorophyll, Kale is a powerful detoxification agent in the body, and when the body can release toxins, it also releases fat.New research has also shown that the ITCs made from kale glucosinolates can help regulate detox at a genetic level. (5)Kale is also ridiculously rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, preventing both oxidative stress and inflammation – both of which directly lead to poor blood-glucose regulation, excessive insulin release, a stressed pancreas, a loss of the body’s ability to burn fat as fuel, inflammation in the digestive tract and more (6).
- Beetroot: beets also contain antioxidant, anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, and the most powerful in beets are betalains, and they provide similar benefits as kale, above.However, beetroot is also a diuretic helping the body rid itself of water retention. The Betaine in beetroot has also been proven to help lower blood pressure (7), and reduce fatty deposits in the liver, both of which can be important for people who are already in an overweight category (8).
- Cucumber: also a highly alkaline, a diuretic, an anti-inflammatory, and an anti-oxidant but also now known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol — three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. (9)
- Cinnamon: helps control blood sugar levels, improves how your body uses insulin, controls hunger and cravings and plays a key role in how your body uses stored fat. An all-round fat flush powerhouse!
All in all, that is five high-alkaline, powerful, weight-loss nutrients that ALSO fight inflammation, provide protective antioxidants, a rich source of chlorophyll…and together taste DELICIOUS!
The Alkaline Fat-Flush Juice: Let’s Make It!
The Alkaline Fat-Flush Recipe:
– 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
– 1/2 bunch kale (can be any variety)
– 1 medium beetroot (and leaves if possible)
– 1 cucumber
– 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
- Wash, chop and juice all of the ingredients, except for the cinnamon
- Run around 100ml of water through the juicer to slightly dilute the juice and help with the juicer cleaning process!
- Whisk the cinnamon into the juice, serve and enjoy!
Enjoy, it’s a really wonderful way to support weight loss (if you want or need to lose weight) and if you don’t need to lose weight, it’s alkaline, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, nutrient-packed juice that tastes WONDERFUL!
The 9 Most Cleansing Alkaline Foods
The ‘Bitter’ Greens Juice to Cleanse & Heal Digestion
Cleansing Broccoli, Ginger & Mint Soup
1. P.A. Albertsson, R. Kohnke, S.C. Emek, J. Mei, J.F. Rehfeld, H.E. Akerlund, et al.
Chloroplast membranes retard fat digestion and induce satiety. Effect of biological membranes on pancreatic lipase/co-lipase
The Biochemical Journal, 401 (3) (2007), pp. 727–733
2. R. Kohnke, A. Lindbo, T. Larsson, A. Lindqvist, M. Rayner, S.C. Emek, et al.
Thylakoids promote the release of the satiety hormone cholecystokinin while reducing insulin in healthy humans
Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 44 (6) (2009), pp. 712–719
3. C. Montelius, K. Szwiec, M. Kardas, L. Lozinska, C. Erlanson-Albertsson, S. Pierzynowski, et al.
Dietary thylakoids suppress blood glucose and modulate appetite-regulating hormones in pigs exposed to oral glucose tolerance test
Clinical Nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland) (2013)
4. E.L. Stenblom, C. Montelius, K. Ostbring, M. Hakansson, S. Nilsson, J.F. Rehfeld, et al.
Supplementation by thylakoids to a high carbohydrate meal decreases feelings of hunger, elevates CCK levels and prevents postprandial hypoglycemia in overweight women
Appetite, 68 (2013), pp. 118–123
5. Prawan A, Saw CL, Khor TO et al. Anti-NF-kappaB and anti-inflammatory activities of synthetic isothiocyanates: effect of chemical structures and cellular signaling. Chem Biol Interact. 2009 May 15;179(2-3):202-11. 2009.
6. Nettleton JA, Steffen LM, Mayer-Davis EJ, et al. Dietary patterns are associated with biochemical markers of inflammation and endothelial activation in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Jun;83(6):1369-79. 2006
7. Coles LT, Clifton PM. Effect of beetroot juice on lowering blood pressure in free-living, disease-free adults: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition Journal. 2012, 11:106
8. Wang Z, and Song Z. Betaine Supplementation Improved Adipose Tissue Function in Mice Fed High-Fat Diet: A Mechanism for Hepatoprotective Effect of Betaine in Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. FASEB Journal. 2010 April;
9. Peterson J, Dwyer J, Adlercreutz H, Scalbert A, Jacques P, McCullough ML. Dietary lignans: physiology and potential for cardiovascular disease risk reduction. Nutrition Reviews. 2010, 10.
10. Khan A, Safdar M, Ali Khan MM, Khattak KN, Anderson RA. Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2003 Dec;26(12)
11. Anderson RA. Chromium and polyphenols from cinnamon improve insulin sensitivity. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society / Volume 67 / Issue 01 / February 2008, pp 48-53
12. Hlebowicz J, Darwiche G, Björgell O, Almér LO. Effect of cinnamon on postprandial blood glucose, gastric emptying, and satiety in healthy subjects. Am J Clin Nutr June 2007 vol. 85 no. 6 1552-1556
Thank you Ross,
can I do this cleansing fat flush juice as a smoothie, or does it have to be juiced?
You can do, but the ingredients work better as a juice. I like to have both juices and smoothies, alternated, so if you enjoy the consistency of this recipe as a smoothie then go for it!
I find it really hard juicing greens like spinach and kale because you get very little actual “juice” out of the quantity you put in. Is it really worth it and is it better to juice it than blitz it into a smoothie?
Hey Julie – if you can budget it, I highly recommend upgrading your juicer. The Hurom brand gets LOADS of juice from these veggies.
Thank you Ross!
Always a pleasure Genevieve!
I would like to get the recipe of the smoothie for cologne for strictly vegetarian please.
I am only 62 but feel that its effecting my skin and hair. I also suffer from hypothyroid for over 30 years.
What are your thoughts about bone broth?
I had thyroid cancer and had 1/2 removed.
I’ve gained si much weight
I’m on medication and didn’t have to have additional treatment.
How ever I’m very overweight, lots of cellulite.
I’m following your juicing.
I’m having alor of dental gun inflammation.
I’m also rejestred for July 3 rd .
Do you recommend to drink this juice daily for best results. Im a bit short in time at the moment so its very hard to get to it daily….
Ross am I adding Water to the actual juice ingredients or am I just running water through the juice before I do the actual juicing ? Thank you Juanita
I do not have a juicer. Is there any way this could be made in a blender.
Are the cruciferous suppose to be steamed before juicing?
Nope, that is completely unproven. Juice raw, they are awesome for your thyroid.
For Alkaline Recipe #182: Fat Flush Juice — I don’t have a juicer so can these ingredients be put into a Vitamix? If yes, will the resulting drink provide the same benefits?
Same benefits, different texture!
Same question, Thanks Ross.
My juicer is a dinosaur. I want to buy a new one. What is the best one to get?
I recommend the Hurom brand
How often do you drink this?
How often can I drink this juice , and is the beetroot raw or cooked
Regarding the beetroot can i use baby whole beetroots from a tin? If so how many?
Is it a must to add kale. I dont like the taste! I will use spinach
No, not ideally – please try to get fresh. You can replace the kale with another leafy green, but really most of the bitter taste from kale is from the stalk, if you cut this out the taste should be fine.
Where do I sign up for the digestive cleanse free live tutorial you mentioned? I went to the top as instructed but didn’t see a place to click and sign up. Thanks
Sorry – that class was a while ago, not sure when I’ll be running it again. I’ll remove the reference to it until next time 🙂
What brand or type of juicer is recommended? I used my kitchen ninja and it is very thick?
Juice, or just eat as salid ? Which is better ?
Please send me more weight loss smoothie recipes thanks
I am allergic to cucumber – i can’t eat it at all. Can i just leave it out if the recipe or can i use something else?
hi Ross when should you take it?Also I would like to know how many serves would it contain?
Can this be done in nutrition bullet
Do juices containing beetroot use raw beetroot or does it have to be cooked. Also I only have a centrifugal juicer not a masticating one, is it ok for leafy veg. kale seems to come out almost the same amount of pulp as went in so I ‘ve been leaving it out and then adding it into a blender with the other juice. Makes the juice quite bitter though. Thanks
Should this be taken with all meals or only once daily?
If only once daily morning or night?
With the alkaline fat flush, , do I have to juice it or can I blend it in my vitamix?
Hi Ross! This sounds like a juice I can’t wait to try!!
How many servings in this recipe? It sounds like it would fill 2 people.