This is a great warming, filling, simple breakfast that really feels like a treat!
Packed with potassium, and anti-inflammatories, it’s supportive of the kidneys while also giving a decent punch of fibre and protein too.
This is a great one for a weekend treat, while still being alkaline and healthy and with zero gluten, fructose, processed foods or acid-forming foods.
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ medium sized pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup/rice malt syrup
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Start by making the pumpkin puree: peel and chop the pumpkin into 3/4 in chunks and steam for 15 minutes until soft, and then blend until smooth with a little coconut oil.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl and set aside.
- Now combine the pumpkin, flax, rice malt syrup and almond milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, and whisk further until well combined. Let the batter stand for ten minutes.
- Set a large pan over medium-low heat; coat it generously with coconut oil
- Once it has reached a reasonably hot temperature (i.e. not cold) and spoon a large spoon of the batter into the pan.
- Cook until bubbles start to form, then flip and cook on the other side until brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more coconut oil or butter for each batch.
- Serve immediately with coconut yoghurt, fruit or the topping of your choice!
- Optional other toppings include chopped nuts & seeds, lemon & orange juice (freshly squeezed), rice malt syrup/brown rice syrup
P.S. Take a look at the Alkaline Recipe System. With hundreds of easy-to-prepare Alkaline recipes PLUS 7 goal-based meal plans each with itemized shopping lists (for goals including weight loss, more energy, better digestion, clearer skin and more) – it makes reaching your health goals SO easy!
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest alkaline recipes delivered weekly (it’s free).