How great would it be leaving the house in the morning knowing you had already had the perfect balance of nutrients your body needs?
To know you had set your day up to be a huge win, after only 5 minutes spent in the kitchen (we all know how busy mornings can be)…?
Having the RIGHT breakfast makes an incredible difference to you energy, cravings and performance throughout the whole day.
And the food decisions you make within that first hour of waking are crucial.
Get it wrong and your hormones and blood sugar, your metabolism and energy levels, your digestion and brain performance – these all get stuffed and face a huge uphill battle to recover.
But get it right and the day is effortless.
As always, my whole approach to the alkaline diet and getting you to your health goals is simple: just give your body the tools it needs to thrive and it will repay you tenfold.
What Makes the Perfect Breakfast
Upon waking, your body starts the day’s cycle – your blood sugar levels and insulin levels, cortisol levels, metabolism, the balancing of the melatonin that ends the sleep cycle and prepares the next…these all run on cycles, starting with you waking – and most importantly WHAT you eat for breakfast and WHEN you eat it…
To properly nourish the body and get it set up for success your breakfast should try to follow at least these rules while eliminating the foods below:
- Eat within 60 minutes (preferably 30 minutes) of waking
- Include protein – at least 7-8g
- Include fibre, any kind is fine – soluble, insoluble and resistant starch – a mix is best
- Healthy fats – this is critical: coconut oil, omega 3, and a combination from olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds etc
→ And eliminate these breakfast energy killers:
- Gluten containing grains – wheat, rye, spelt (i.e. toast, pop tarts, pastries, regular breakfast cereals)
- Sugar – particularly fructose-containing sugar (flavoured yoghurts, jams, regular breakfast cereals, fruit juice) – see more on sugar here
- Dairy products (milk, yoghurt)
- Processed meat (bacon, sausages etc.)
If you can hit these rules and avoid these energy killers you will soon notice how incredible you’re SUPPOSED to feel in the morning!
Three 5-Minute Breakfasts That Tick Every Box
So today I’m giving you my three faves that meet all of these criteria and get you off to a FLYING start.
By consuming one of these three breakfasts every day you will notice very quickly that you have improvements with:
- Memory & mental focus
- Staying fuller for longer and no snack attacks mid morning
- Far less sugar & carb cravings
- Better moods
- Weight loss (if needed)
- Soothed digestion and reduction of reflux conditions
- Calmed inflammation, aches and pains
And because breakfast can be such a hectic time getting out of the door – I have tailored and developed these recipes to make them FAST and easy.
Let’s do it:
Breakfast 1: Perfectly Balanced, High Alkaline Breakfast Smoothie
This is a consistent favourite in my house, and with visiting friends and family too. It tastes delicious, contains greens but doesn’t taste of greens, and has everything you need to get the day off to the PERFECT start:
- 250ml coconut milk
- 200ml filtered water
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- Handful almonds
- Handful cashews
- Handful organic oats
- Handful chia seeds
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 1 large handful baby spinach/kale leaves
- Put the liquids and the chia seeds into the blender and leave for 2 minutes to allow the chia to soften a little and go gelatinous.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Note: if you don’t have a high powered blender you may have to soak the almonds and cashew overnight to soften them.
- Extra Note: if you want to add more protein and some of the resistant starch, you can include 25-50g of cooked kidney beans. This is totally optional.
This recipe contains 12g protein per serve and 18.5g fibre – which is over half your daily needs and from a blend of sources, which is ideal. If you include the kidney beans you’re going to be over 20g and include that resistant starch too.
And fats…from the coconut oil, cashews, almonds, avocado, chia, greens…you’re getting plenty!
Breakfast 2: Creamy Coconut & Vanilla Bircher Pots
This pre-prepared beauty is a thing of wonder. Containing an abundance of everything you need to get moving and balance your body’s processes, cycles and ignite the metabolism – this tastes like a real treat.
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans/vanilla paste
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 chopped date
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Put all of the ingredients into a mason jars and stir well
- Leave in the fridge overnight
- Serve! Optionally with coconut yoghurt for extra creaminess.
- Note: it’s easy to make 6 or 7 of these at a time as they will last all week in the fridge
Breakfast 3: Chai-Infused Quinoa Porridge
This chai-spice inspired quinoa porridge is HUGELY anti-inflammatory, while having those important protein/fibre/fat-rich ingredients too.
It’s a warming option for everyone reading this in winter!
- 1 cup of dry quinoa (pref organic)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups of water (pref alkaline)
- 1 stick of cinnamon (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 inch piece of fresh root ginger finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (pref fresh grated)
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream or milk (depending on how creamy you want it)
- 1/2 lemon skin grated (or lime)
- 1 vanilla bean pod or vanilla paste
- Half a handful of cashew, almonds, brazil nuts or any other nut to your taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Optional: coconut yoghurt , cloves, ground , 1/2 grated apple
- First prepare the quinoa to the packet instructions (approx 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa in a saucepan, brought to a boil and then turned down to a simmer and covered until all water evaporated)
- Once the quinoa is cooked and drained, add it back to the saucepan and stir in the chai spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves if you’ve done them in a pestle and mortar) and add the coconut cream or milk and throw in the scraped out vanilla pod (or add the drop or two of vanilla essence).
- You can pick either the milk or cream depending on how creamy and thick you want it.
- When it’s ready, grate in the apple if you’re using it – right at the end.
- Warm through and then serve in a big bowl. To serve, add the lemon rind grated onto the top and sprinkle with extra ground cinnamon. Finally throw on the seeds and nuts (I recommend sesame seeds with this especially).
- As an indulgent extra, you can also serve with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, which is alkaline and JUST DELICIOUS!
Without the Right Nutrients at Breakfast the Body Goes into Hormonal, Acidic, Inflammatory Turmoil…
If you’ve ever had daytime fatigue, mid-morning and mid-afternoon slumps and sugar cravings, disturbed sleep or difficulty getting to/staying asleep, easy weight gain but difficult weight loss, poor memory or concentration during the day, aches and pains….
Your breakfast could easily be the culprit. The hormonal imbalances caused by a lack of (or the wrong kind of) breakfast are devastating and far-reaching.
If you don’t get these healthy fats, fibre and protein at breakfast your blood sugar and insulin will go on a haywire journey of spikes and troughs…knocking on to your cortisol levels, with high cortisol needed to mop up the damage of the high insulin…needed because of the high blood sugar…
The constant need for insulin (for the high blood sugar) and cortisol (for the high insulin) completely stresses your adrenals, which knocks on to the thyroid, pituitary…and practically every other area of your hormone-regulating system (your endocrine system).
All you’ve got to do it stick to these three, super-fast, super-simple breakfasts and you’re going to be thriving!
Sometimes having an energised body and reaching the health of our dreams is a LOT easier than we’ve been led to believe – and getting breakfast sorted is one of those things.
Keep it simple and let’s do this!
Do You Want to Turn Your Health Around in Just 7 Days?
If you love the look of this guide and the benefits it will bring, check out my book The Alkaline Reset Cleanse. It's a gentle, enjoyable seven-day Cleanse that will completely transform your health and life. Abundant energy, dramatic weight loss, digestion healed, inflammation gone...these are all results my students have experienced from doing their Alkaline Reset Cleanse...
Click here to order now and get over $120+ of extra alkaline training from me!
Real Results from the Alkaline Reset Cleanse Book: