How to Make ENHANCED Lemon Water!
Lemon water was something good for a while there. Warm, lemon-y and a little bit alkaline…
It had our heart’s aflutter for a good few years, almost a decade in fact.
But we can do better.
I mean, isn’t lemon water a bit ‘2005’…?
And so, Wouldn’t you love to have the next generation of this morning ‘wake-up-water’?
We’ve learned so much since then. We know so much more about so many more healing foods and so much more about how to nourish our body.
Wouldn’t you love to have a morning ‘water’ that’s:
- anti-oxidant rich
- and more…
…every day, before you leave the house?
Introducing: ENHANCED Lemon Water
Since I first wrote about lemon water back in February, 2005 (yep, that long ago!), it feels like we all went mad for it! And it’s still super-popular.
But now it is time to move onto something better.
Wouldn’t you agree?
We know more now, there is more research out there and a lot more people are a lot more focused on their health and energy than they were in 2005 (do you think you’d have seen organic kale at the grocery store in 2005? And who’d heard of quinoa or chia seeds?!).
How and Why I Made the Benefits of Lemon Water Even Better!
In 2005, when I first started this site, my focus and approach was all about getting you alkaline. And that hasn’t changed, but it has expanded from JUST alkalinity to a three-fold:
- anti-inflammation (see my recent guide to inflammation here)
- and the immune system
This is the inter-connected system that I believe creates the balance in our body that allows us to THRIVE, be free from disease and have the huge energy, mental clarity and confidence in how we look and feel, that ultimately I think we all want.
And my Energized, Enhanced Lemon Water or Lemon Water 2.0 (as I’ve been calling it on my training webinars) is designed to support your body in all three of these areas: give alkalinity, fight inflammation and boost the immune system.
Below I will give you all of the specific benefits of this super-drink, and all of the scientific research that’s gone into it.
But first, let’s get to the juicy part: How to Make It!
How to Make the Energized, Enhanced Lemon Water
Energized Enhanced Lemon Water (Lemon Water 2.0)
Preparation Time: 3 minutes
1 litre (33 oz) of filtered, preferably alkaline water (click here for how to make alkaline water)
1 inch of fresh root ginger
1 inch of fresh root turmeric
2/3 of a lemon (1/3 per person)
1 red birdeye (hot-dang) chilli [note: optional]
- Prepare the water by filtering it, and preferably making it alkaline, but filtration is the real ‘must have’ – you’ve got to filter your drinking water.
- Boil 400ml (13.5 oz) of the water in a kettle
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger and turmeric into rounds i.e. slice it widthways thinly — see picture below (if organic you can just wash it, you don’t have to peel)
- (Optional Spicy!) Slice the chilli – if you don’t like spicy foods you can either omit this from the recipe or remove the seeds. It won’t make the drink instantly spicy, it adds a warmth and freshness that is delicious, and has it’s benefits. If you like it spicy you can allow the chilli to ‘brew’ for longer in the glass before drinking!
- Squeeze the juice of the lemons into your glasses – 1/3 of a lemon per person is a good rough guide.
- Next add the cool water – 300ml (10-ish oz) per glass and then top up to 500ml (17 oz) with the boiled water. The boiled water will not only make this a warm (read: NOT hot) drink, but will also bring out the flavours of the ginger, turmeric and chilli
- Stir and serve!
Other options instead of chilli are mint, cucumber and cayenne pepper.
You can also use LIME if you prefer to lemon, and I love this optional variety, the Super-Sassy Turmeric, Ginger, Mint & Lime Water! (post to follow in a few days).
Lemon Water FAQ:
While we’re on the topic, here’s a couple of common questions that often come up whenever I discuss lemons and the alkaline diet:
Lemon’s Are Acid! Why Are You Saying They’re Alkaline?
Lemon water is most definitely alkalizing to the body.
Because of its very, very low sugar content and high alkaline mineral content, lemons actually have an alkalising effect on the body that far exceeds it’s citric acid content.
Note: I am not saying that lemons are alkaline, I am saying that lemons are alkaliZING!
See the distinction here?
The most important thing to note is not what the pH of the food is in it’s natural state – rather the EFFECT THE FOOD HAS ON THE BODY.
(And by the way, this applies to all foods, not just lemons. Check this guide: Can you spot if a food is acid or alkaline?)
Can I Use Lime?
You can absolutely use limes instead of lemon. Just call it lime water 2.0! Limes have subtly different benefits to lemons, and have a totally different taste, so feel free to mix it up!
Can I Add Honey?
Definitely not. Honey is a sugar and so is very acid-forming to the body. There are benefits to honey (it contains a lot of other compounds alongside the glucose and fructose, including minerals etc), but the negatives FAR outweigh the positives.
I know a lot of people may not agree or like that statement, but if you want to reduce inflammation and get alkaline, you have to leave the honey out of this drink.
IT doesn’t need it, and if you ARE going to have a natural sugar in something, you’re better off saving that for a dessert or treat, which would be much better than putting it in an already delicious drink, right?
Why Warm? Can’t I Have it With Ice/have it Cold Instead?
Warm is best, because the body most easily digests and uses lukewarm substances. When you consume something very hot or cold, the body has to work harder and regulate it’s temperature down or up. Upon waking, you want to be gentle to the body, giving it the right things at the right time, and so for this reason I recommend lemon water is made lukewarm.
It’s also just really lovely to have something warming first thing in the morning, when you may have a touch of the ‘morning mouth’!
Benefits of Ross’ Enhanced Lemon Water 2.0
Of course, the original lemon water in itself has a whole lot of benefits.
Personally, my favourite benefit of the regular lemon water is simply that it encourages people to get hydrated as soon as they wake up every day – an exceptional habit to form – it tastes delicious, the warmth is refreshing on the mouth after 8 hours of sleep and it ENERGIZES!
But here are the most important Nutritional Benefits of Lemon Water
- Immune Boosting: Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C, which protects the body by helping boost the immune system (which also has a knock on benefit with inflammation…which we’ll get onto)
- Arthritis: arthritis is a condition that is largely spurred on by inflammation. With inflammation there is an overstimulated immune system, and to prevent this you need to replenish it. Starting the day with vit-C rich lemon water helps to regulate and boost the immune system, and, in turn prevent the damage done by inflammation.
- Metabolism: lemon water, upon waking, revs your metabolism like nothing else! When we are dehydrated the metabolism grinds to a halt. This hydration habit could make a huge difference to your energy and if you’re looking to lose weight this will move you considerably in the right direction.
- Anti-Cancer: Research has shown that the compounds in citrus fruits (called limonoids) have been shown to help fight cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon.
- Fights Aging & Free Radical Formation: high levels of Vitamin C neutralize free radicals. Free radicals can destroy healthy cells and cause inflammation.
- Colon Health & Digestion: Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health, and can help repair the symptoms of leaky gut, and clear out a clogged up colon!
- Alkaline Superstar! And of course, lemon water is alkalizing to the body…booyahh!
- Detoxifying: When you sleep, the body detoxifies, and these toxins then build up – ready for removal. However, if you stay dehydrated after your sleep, they have no way of getting out! Help your body get them out by hydrating with lemon water!
- Important Bile Production: lemon water aids digestion and encourages the production of bile. Bile is critical for digestion and absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins in the small intestine, while many toxins are eliminated from the body by secretion into bile and elimination in feces.
- Anti-Biotic: flavonoids in lemons and limes called flavonol glycosides have antibiotic effects, while being 100% natural.
- Anti-Inflammatory: lemons help with reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid – also making it very helpful for gout.
- Prevents Colds & Flu: Being high in vitamin C and alkaline minerals, plus with the anti-bacterial and anti-biotic effects of the flavanoids, Lemon Water helps prevent and shorten the common cold
- Skin Cleansing: prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne due to the high antioxidant content.
- Post-Workout Recovery: while it plays a different role to a protein shake, lemon water helps to balance your body’s pH after a workout (and the buildup of lactic acid) to reduce the acid and prevent soreness and tiredness. It also helps to replenish your body’s salts – critical after a workout.
- Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory with studies showing it to be more effective than anti-inflammatory prescription drugs (NSAIDs)
- Therefore is powerful against arthritis
- Turmeric dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity in the body
- It improves brain function and dramatically decreases the risk of developing Alzheimer’s
- Turmeric lowers the risk of developing heart disease
- Can help prevent many types of cancer
- Turmeric is very powerful at preventing and reversing chronic fatigue conditions
- …and can also help prevent depression
- Ginger has strong anti-inflammatory properties (gingerols), just like turmeric and so can help treat and reverse muscle and arthritic pain.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger also promote digestion, relieve nausea and intestinal gas
- Ginger also boosts the immune system and so is a perfect treatment for colds and other respiratory conditions.
- Like turmeric, ginger can help to prevent specific cancers: including colon and ovarian cancer
- Ginger has also been proven to relieve asthma symptoms
- Liver issues that are brought on by consistent medical needs (such as painkillers) can be pre-treated and prevented using ginger
- In animal studies, ginger has been proven to be more effective than certain prescription drugs in reducing blood pressure
- Ginger has also been shown to be just as effective as medication to treat migraines
- Ginger is also well researched in terms of it’s ability to decrease muscle pain and soreness
So in summary, it’s an alkalizing, energizing, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-arthritic, skin-clearing, immune-boosting, headache-relieving, blood-pressure-reducing, nausea-relieving, fatigue-fighting, depression-beating, detoxifying super-sassy, delicious drink!
Who wouldn’t want that?!
What Happens Next?
If you can stick to drinking this every morning for 10 days, I promise you will notice a difference not only in how you look, but also (and most importantly) how you feel.
Since I posted my original lemon water article in 05, I have received hundreds, if not thousands of emails from people telling me how JUST THIS has impacted their health.
“Great informative post – -I have started drinking lemon water 3 days ago and have noticed a massive difference , it’s amazing! I feel more energetic and do not crave caffeine like I used to. Thank you for posting this!” — Keith Townsend (April, 2012)
— Linda (April, 2006)
“I had suffered for the last 4 days, the most horrible stomach flu I could ever imagine. Between the vomiting and diarrhea, I have lost 9 lbs. Desperate for relief, I looked up this information online.
Last night I took my first dose of luke warm filtered water with fresh squeezed lemon. My symptoms seemed to improve within the hour. I finally got to sleep through the night without having to run to the bathroom!” — Amy (Dec, 2011)
— And now this drink is even MORE POWERFUL!
I love it.
So go forth, get slicing, juicing, squeezing and thriving – and let me know how Enhanced Lemon Water 2.0 has impacted your life in the comments below.
I can’t wait to hear from you
p.s. and if you have any questions at all, leave them in the comments too!
Posts Related to Lemon Water 2.0
Research Studies & References:
I always endeavour to only suggest potential benefits where there is scientific research to back it up. For this guide this was easy, and this list of research studies could have been 10x longer.
Turmeric, ginger and lemons/limes are heavily researched for their health benefits and this is just a small selection of the literature I found and used to make this guide for you:
Akoachere JF, Ndip RN, Chenwi EB et al. Antibacterial effect of Zingiber officinale and Garcinia kola on respiratory tract pathogens. East Afr Med J. 2002 Nov;79(11):588-92. 2002.
Balasubramanian K. Molecular Orbital Basis for Yellow Curry Spice Curcumin’s Prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease. J. Agric. Food Chem., 54 (10), 3512 -3520, 2006. 10.1021/jf0603533 S0021-8561(06)00353-0, Web Release Date: April 20, 2006. 2006.
Berhow MA, Bennett RD, Poling SM, et al. Acylated flavonoids in callus cultures of Citrus aurantifolia. Phytochemistry 1994 Jul;36(5):1225-7. 1994. PMID:13170.
Cruz-Correa M, Shoskes DA, Sanchez P, Zhao R, Hylind LM, Wexner SD, Giardiello FM. Combination treatment with curcumin and quercetin of adenomas in familial adenomatous polyposis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006 Aug;4(8):1035-8. Epub 2006 Jun 6. 2006. PMID:16757216.
Dorai T, Cao YC, Dorai B, et al. Therapeutic potential of curcumin in human prostate cancer. III. Curcumin inhibits proliferation, induces apoptosis, and inhibits angiogenesis of LNCaP prostate cancer cells in vivo. Prostate 2001 Jun 1;47(4):293-303. 2001. PMID:16280.
Gururaj A, Kelakavadi M, Venkatesh D et al. Molecular mechanisms of anti-angiogenic effect of curcumin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2002 Oct 4;297(4):934. 2002.
Hidaka H, Ishiko T, Furunashi T et al. Curcumin inhibits interleukin 8 production and enhances interleukin 8 receptor expression on the cell surface:impacgt on human pancrreatic carcinoma cell growth by autocrine regulation. Cancer 2002 Sep 15;96(6):1206-14. 2002.
Ippoushi K, Azuma K, Ito H, Horie H, Higashio H. -Gingerol inhibits nitric oxide synthesis in activated J774.1 mouse macrophages and prevents peroxynitrite-induced oxidation and nitration reactions. Life Sci. 2003 Nov 14;73(26):3427-37.
Kang BY, Chung SW, Chung W et al. Inhibition of interleukin-12 production in lipopolysaccharide-activated macrophage by curcumin. Eur J Pharmacol 1999 Nov;384(2-3):191-5. 1999.
Kang BY, Song YJ, Kim KM et al. Curcumin inhibits Th1 cytokine profile in CD4+ T cells by suppressing interleukin-12 production in macrophages. Br J Pharmacol 1999 Sep;128(2):380-4. 1999.
Kawaii S, Tomono Y, Katase E, et al. Antiproliferative effects of the readily extractable fractions prepared from various citrus juices on several cancer cell lines. J Agric Food Chem 1999 Jul;47(7):2509-12. 1999. PMID:13190.
Kiuchi F, et al. Inhibition of prostaglandin and leukotriene biosynthesis by gingerols and diarylheptanoids. Chem Pharm Bull 40 (1992):387-91. 1992. Nature Immunology Online. Nature Immunology Online. 2001;10.1038/ni732. 2001.
Khaw KT, Bingham S, Welch A, et al. Relation between plasma ascorbic acid and mortality in men and women in EPIC-Norfolk prospective study: a prospective population study. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Lancet. 2001 Mar 3;357(9257):657-63. 2001.
Maghbooli Mehdi, Golipour Farhad, Moghimi Esfandabadi Alireza, Yousefi Mehran. “Comparison Between the Efficacy of Ginger and Sumatriptan in the Ablative Treatment of the Common Migraine.” Phytotherapy Research. 9 MAY 2013. DOI: 10.1002/ptr.4996. Accessed October 17th 2013.
Nagabhushan M, Bhide SV. Curcumin as an inhibitor of cancer. J Am Coll Nutr. 1992 Apr;11(2):192-8. 1992. PMID:1578097.
Nakamura K, Yasunaga Y, Segawa T et al. Curcumin down-regulates AR gene expression and activation in prostate cancer cell lines. Int J Oncol 2002 Oct;21(4):825-30. 2002.
Rhode JM, Huang J, Fogoros S, Tan L, Zick S, Liu JR. Ginger induces apoptosis and autophagocytosis in ovarian cancer cells. Abstract #4510, presented April 4, 2006 at the 97th AACR Annual Meeting, April 1-5, 2006, Washington, DC. 2006.
Srivastava KC, Mustafa T. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) and rheumatic disorders. Med Hypothesis 29 (1989):25-28. 1989.
Srivastava KC, Mustafa T. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) in rheumatism and musculoskeletal disorders. Med Hypothesis 39(1992):342-8. 1992.
Wigler I, Grotto I, Caspi D, Yaron M. The effects of Zintona EC (a ginger extract) on symptomatic gonarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2003 Nov;11(11):783-9.2003
Yang F, Lim GP, Begum AN, Ubeda OJ, Simmons MR, Ambegaokar SS, Chen PP, Kayed R, Glabe CG, Frautschy SA, Cole GM. Curcumin inhibits formation of Abeta oligomers and fibrils and binds plaques and reduces amyloid in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2004 Dec 7;. 2004. PMID:15590663.
Zhang L, Fiala M, Cashman J, Sayre J, Espinosa A, Mahanian M, Zaghi J, Badmaev V, Graves MC, Bernard G, Rosenthal M. Curcuminoids enhance amyloid-beta uptake by macrophages of Alzheimer’s disease patients. J Alzheimers Dis. 2006 Sep;10(1):1-7. 2006. PMID:16988474.
Risks and precautions:
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, the use of herbs can interact with other herbs or medications.
Therefore it’s important to talk to your doctor before taking ginger or turmeric. You should not take ginger if you suffer from a bleeding disorder or take blood-thinning medications (such as warfarin or aspirin).
The information on this website is for informational and educational purposes only.
It is not an attempt by the writers or publisher to diagnose or prescribe, nor should it be construed to be such. Readers are hereby encouraged to consult with a licensed health care professional concerning the information presented, which has been received from sources deemed reliable, but no guarantees, expressed or implied, can be made regarding the accuracy of same. Therefore, readers are also encouraged to verify for themselves and to their own satisfaction the accuracy of all reports, recommendations, conclusions, comments, opinions, or anything else published herein before making any kind of decisions based upon what they have read.
If you have a medical condition, please consult your medical practitioner.
Do You Want to Turn Your Health Around in Just 7 Days for Just $1.99?
If you love the look of this guide and the benefits it will bring, check out my book The Alkaline Reset Cleanse. It's a gentle, enjoyable seven-day Cleanse that will completely transform your health and life. Abundant energy, dramatic weight loss, digestion healed, inflammation gone...these are all results my students have experienced from doing their Alkaline Reset Cleanse...
LIMITED TIME OFFER: The Alkaline Reset Cleanse Book is Just $1.99 (Kindle/eReader) -- Click to order now and get over $120+ of extra alkaline training from me!
Real Results from the Alkaline Reset Cleanse Book: