Wheatgrass is one of the most nourishing foods on Earth, in fact, wheatgrass benefits us in so many ways it still baffles me that it’s not more of a regular food in people’s homes – even now as we move to so much more of a green-juice-friendly culture!
There are thousands of benefits to using wheatgrass that are so clear and felt so quickly – not to mention it being one of the most nutrient dense foods ever studied – that I urge you to go through this guide, see how easy it is to incorporate in your life and get wheatgrass into your daily diet!
My belief is that health should be simple and I think a lot of people believe that consuming wheatgrass can be expensive and a bit of a hassle. But in this guide I’m here to show you that is absolutely not the case. Getting a daily shot of wheatgrass is really simple, and SUCH a powerful habit to form…
The benefits of using wheatgrass I’ve seen in my own life…
Since I’ve been using wheatgrass I’ve noticed my energy levels go sky high, my skin clear up and colds, coughs and illnesses disappear forever – and these are just a few of the things I’ve noticed!
Not to mention a fabulous level of energy thats sustained all day long!
The benefits of wheatgrass are easy to achieve and feel because:
- 30mls of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice (a wheatgrass shot!) is equivalent in nutritional value to 1kg of leafy green vegetables
- Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
- It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
- Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams – it packs a punch!
- Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots!
- Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell.
- By increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise
- It also contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein making this one of the most impressive single sources of nutrients on Earth!
Wheatgrass Benefits Explained: Why is Wheatgrass So Darn Good For Us?
1. Wheatgrass Builds Blood: Many health experts including Robert Young (pH Miracle) and Steve Meyerowitz (Nature’s Finest Medicine) have highlighted that the chlorophyll molecule in wheatgrass is almost identical to the haemoglobin molecule in human blood.
The only difference is that the central element in chlorophyll is magnesium and in haemoglobin it is iron.
Due to this inherent similarity the human body can easily transform chlorophyll into haemoglobin increasing the red blood cell count as well as the blood’s capacity to deliver oxygen and other nutrients to the body’s cells (Hagiwara, 1985) .
Chlorophyll has been shown to build red blood cells quickly, normalise blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways though out the body, destroy poisonous carbon dioxide, release free oxygen and promote higher metabolism and stimulated enzyme systems. On top of all of these benefits, consuming chlorophyll from wheatgrass is a highly effective way to alkalise the blood and energise the body!
2. Wheatgrass Cleanses the Body: Wheatgrass is an extremely beneficial food in terms of both its cleansing capabilities and it’s nutrient density.
The contents of wheatgrass juice and powder (green drink) are reported to be within the region of approximately 100 separate elements with scientists dubbing it a ‘complete food’.
According to ‘The Wheatgrass Book‘ (Wigmore, 1985), just 140g of fresh wheatgrass offers the same nutritional value as over 3kg’s of fresh green vegetables!
Thats a great way to get your daily fresh vegetable quota rocking – all from one wheatgrass shot.
Wheatgrass is a great source of vitamins B, C, E and carotene which are hugely effective in destroying and eliminating free radicals and cleansing the body.
Wheatgrass is also highly regarded for its ability to cleanse the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract.
Because it is also high in saponin, wheatgrass offers excellent support to the lymphatic system, helping to carry away hundreds and thousands of toxins from the cells of the body.
‘Detoxify the body by increasing the elimination of hardened mucous, crystallised acids and solidified, decaying faecal matter…It is the fastest, surest way to eliminate internal waste and provide an optimum nutritional environment’.
These are just some of the cleansing and detoxifying benefits, and I have barely scratched the surface with regards to listing its nutritional content.
Put most simply, whether you are looking to undertake a formal cleanse, or simply try to add more nutrition to your diet – these reasons alone are enough to consider adding wheatgrass to your daily lifestyle.
3. Wheatgrass Has High Amino Acid Content: You may have heard the expression before that – amino acids are the building blocks of protein.
They are absolutely essential to our growth and cell regeneration. It is the astonishingly high amino acid content in wheatgrass that is leading to many bodybuilders and gym-goers incorporating fresh (a wheatgrass shot) or wheatgrass powder into their daily routine.
Wheatgrass is so impactful because it is a complete protein and contains, amongst others, the following amino acids: arginine, serine, absenisic, lysine, aspartic acid, glycine, alanine, methionine, leucine, tryptophane, phenylalanine, and valine.
4. Wheatgrass Fights and Protects Against Illness: Organic wheatgrass powders and juices are an extremely effective way of boosting the body’s immune system to fight against and recover from illnesses and ailments.
Wheatgrass is a great source of beta carotene, contains most of the B vitamins and vitamins C, E, H and K, and also contains over 90 different minerals and 19 amino acids.
It also contains several active enzymes which play a major role in breaking down fats, undertaking biological functions and assist hugely in weight loss.
Of the 90 minerals found, many of these are very alkalizing and include calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and iron.
Many of the health benefits of wheatgrass stem from the fact that it is a living food. Being highly anti-bacterial, consuming wheatgrass will help to alkalise and detoxify the lymph and blood cells, helping the body to rebuild and transport toxins out of the body quickly and effectively.
Again, coming back to the chlorophyll content of wheatgrass – this can protect the body from carcinogens more effectively than any other food.
Studies conducted on animals have shown that wheatgrass consumption has reduced the absorption of a number of very serious carcinogens whilst strengthening cells, detoxifying the liver and neutralising polluting elements within the blood.
But I thought wheat was acidifying?
The simple answer is: wheat is acidifying.
The fully grown, harvested, stored, milled and prepared wheat plant is highly acidifying. But as with almost every grain, when sprouted it is very alkaline, and this is certainly the case with wheatgrass.
Do not worry about wheatgrass being acidifying, it really, really isn’t!
Where to Get Wheatgrass
There are three main ways to incorporate wheatgrass into your life. There are pro’s and con’s (sort of) of each, and getting a bit of each is probably best to get the full and awesome wheatgrass benefits explained above!
Wheatgrass (and other grass) supplements are powdered greens, condensed down, that you simply mix with water and drink! There are many, many, grass supplements out there so make sure you pick one that works for you. Here are my main tips to make sure you’re getting a good one, and after that it is really down to taste!
- Make sure it is organic
- Make sure it is powdered juice, not just powdered plant
- Make sure it isn’t heat-dried
- Make sure there are no fruits or sweeteners added
- Make sure it doesn’t contain spirulina or any other algae, which are acidifying
It is also good to aim for a mix of grasses, alongside wheatgrass to get an even wider range of health benefits.
Buying your wheatgrass fresh from a juice bar is also a great way to get your wheatgrass health fix! Make sure they snip and juice the grass right in front of you though! I’ve seen some sneaky bars in Sydney having it delivered, already juiced!
A lot of the wheatgrass benefits are lost if you don’t have it fresh.
Having your wheatgrass freshly juiced is a great way to feel the instant energy hit, it is so noticeable!
Growing Your Own Wheatgrass
And finally, you can grow and juice your own! This is great fun, not all that time consuming, and not all that expensive either! All you need are:
- Some space
- Wheatgrass seeds
- Sprouting trays or an automatic sprouter (such as an EasyGreen)
- A pair of scissors
- A masticating or hand wheatgrass juicer
In that order.
Note, you can’t grow wheatgrass in a standard sprouter and you can’t juice wheatgrass in a standard juicer. But having said that, the masticating juicers such as the Hurom brand are far better quality in my opinion anyway, you you’re better off buying one of these anyway.
So there you have it! Can you think of any reason not to start having your daily wheatgrass juice?
Read Next: The Seven Most Alkaline Foods!
FURTHER READING ON WHEATGRASS
The Ann Wigmore Institute: recognised as one of the pioneers of highlighting wheatgrass for health
The Hippocrates Institute: focus a lot of their teaching and healing on wheatgrass and other holistic health foods
Frozen Wheatgrass UK: a great place to get wheatgrass in a convenient frozen format!